Re: [IPp] What was your biggest hurdle?

First let me say we absolutely love our pump and never intend to switch
back to injections. The lifestyle is way more normal and way more 'us'. Our
son just turned 2 this month and we've been pumping since July. We have had
many issues we worked through, it took 3 solid months but we feel we
finally have tackled all the challenges of starting on a pump. First, we
had site problems, we were doing site changes almost daily. We also were on
Humalog which worked differently on different days, this may have been site
related. Whatever the case, after a month, we decided not to use the butt
rather we use the thighs, upper butt, hips and stomach if possible, this
helped a lot. Then, we switched to Novolog, almost overnight, how the
insulin was going to work was more predictable. Then, a few weeks of
tweaking basals and we finally got over some major highs in mid morning and
late night. With a child under 2 years old, we moved in baby steps,
literally when making changes, waited a few days to see results and then
tweaked by .05 again, waited a few days then tweaked, etc...so it took
quite a while. Our A1c went up from 7.5 in July to 8.1 in early Oct, we
were not surprised, we expected it. On a good note, we are through all that
and still love our pump dearly. It was worth it!! We expect our next A1c to
be around 7-7.5, we have 2 different correction factors, 2 different ins to
carb ratios and a basal rate that ranges from .00 to .30, and changes 5
times per 24 hour period. It has taken some time, but we feel like we have
more control now. We also learned how to dose him better over the past 3
months and that will give us better bg numbers also. It will take time, but
you will get it, I hope it takes you less!!!!  I am sure it will:)
Good luck to you!
Deb -  mom to Anthony, 2 yrs old, dx'd at 13 mo old, pumping with Cozmo
since 7/03

"Natalie G Rodgers" <email @ redacted>@insulin-pumpers.org on
10/29/2003 12:18:19 PM

Please respond to email @ redacted

Sent by:    email @ redacted

To:    email @ redacted
Subject:    Re: [IPp] What was your biggest hurdle?

I don't want to be a sour grape, but I do want to be honest with you.  We
have had kind of a hard transition to the pump, for various reasons.  Our
daughter seemed to need MUCH LESS insulin on the pump than on her shots.
First we diluted the insulin (to U50).  Then we had non-stop problems
with air in the cartridge and tubing and problems with the site.
However, we now think some (or a lot) of the problem was due to a faulty
pump, which the manufacturer was quick to replace.  We think the fact
that she needed so very little insulin (less than some infants) made it
hard for the pump and the sites to function properly.  We just started
Andrea yesterday on a new pump and U10 insulin.

I think the first big challenge is getting basal rates right.  Some kids
can have one basal rate set for the whole day, and that works for them.
For others, like Andrea, it can vary quite a bit throughout the day.
Many parents from this list will tell you that the book Pumping Insulin
is a very helpful book when starting the pump.  I totally agree -
although I wish like many other parents that there was more on pediatric
pump use.

We LOVE the pump in spite of challenges.  It has not been as smooth a
transition as we would have liked, but we still would not choose to go
back to shots.  Andrea loves her pump, and we are happy at the prospect
of much more freedom in our lives!  I just like people to be prepared for
challenges they might face (although we seem to attract more than our
share).  Expect the best, but be prepared for some challenges.  I am sure
you will love the pump!

-Natalie Rodgers
Mom to Andrea 4 (dx 1/28/03, pumping Cozmo 10/2/03),
             Alicia 2, and Carlos 5 months
Married to Tom for over 7 fabulous years
Salt Lake City, UT