Re: [IPp] What was your biggest hurdle?

I don't want to be a sour grape, but I do want to be honest with you.  We
have had kind of a hard transition to the pump, for various reasons.  Our
daughter seemed to need MUCH LESS insulin on the pump than on her shots.
First we diluted the insulin (to U50).  Then we had non-stop problems
with air in the cartridge and tubing and problems with the site.
However, we now think some (or a lot) of the problem was due to a faulty
pump, which the manufacturer was quick to replace.  We think the fact
that she needed so very little insulin (less than some infants) made it
hard for the pump and the sites to function properly.  We just started
Andrea yesterday on a new pump and U10 insulin.

I think the first big challenge is getting basal rates right.  Some kids
can have one basal rate set for the whole day, and that works for them.
For others, like Andrea, it can vary quite a bit throughout the day.
Many parents from this list will tell you that the book Pumping Insulin
is a very helpful book when starting the pump.  I totally agree -
although I wish like many other parents that there was more on pediatric
pump use.

We LOVE the pump in spite of challenges.  It has not been as smooth a
transition as we would have liked, but we still would not choose to go
back to shots.  Andrea loves her pump, and we are happy at the prospect
of much more freedom in our lives!  I just like people to be prepared for
challenges they might face (although we seem to attract more than our
share).  Expect the best, but be prepared for some challenges.  I am sure
you will love the pump!

-Natalie Rodgers
Mom to Andrea 4 (dx 1/28/03, pumping Cozmo 10/2/03),
             Alicia 2, and Carlos 5 months
Married to Tom for over 7 fabulous years
Salt Lake City, UT