[IPp] re: sites & Sils vs. QuickSet questions

> What is the difference between the silhouette and quick set?  Is
> the quick set less painful? Also the nurse from Minimed told us we
> could use the arm, thigh,butt and abdomen....

Welcome to pumping!  My son, 8, has been pumping for 2.5 years.
We started with SofSets, then QuickSets and have now been using
Silhouettes for about 1.5 years.  The QuickSets were less scary
looking & stick well, but Sils don't kink/bend/occlude for us like
QuickSets did.   I've been the guinea pig for all new infusion sets
so my son could see that it was tolerable, and I can vouch that a QuickSet
feels the same going in as a Silhouette.

Luke is so lean/muscular that we've never even considered using his
arms or legs for sites.  We use his abdomen, the upper buttocks, and
the "love handles" just above the waistline on the back.  The abdomen sites
seem to struggle the most because they get bumped, pulled, tugged
or whatever more - Luke is 8 years old after all, and he crawls on
the floor or slides across the furniture or all manner of kid things.
The buttock sites are best for him, but we need the belly & back to rotate

Good luck to you.  It does get much easier with practice.  Luke's
site changes take maybe 2 minutes now, and that's just to count
out the supplies for the next change (we keep a box ready with the
inserter, 2 infusion sets, BARD and alcohol wipes).  Another plus with the
Silhouettes is that the tubing is separate from the site, so we fill up
the reservoir about once a week but we do 2 site changes a week.  Filling the
insulin reservoir separately from the site changes makes the site changes feel
shorter too because we're only doing 1 thing at a time.

Shelly V, mom to Luke, 8, dx'd 10/99, pumping 3/01 - Novolog, MM508, Sils

Do you Yahoo!?