[IPp] Re: types of sites

Our just-turned-two-year-old uses the Quicksets - 6mm long cannula, 23
inch long tubing.  This is what our CDE told us to use, and it hasn't
been a problem so we haven't changed.  We have used them both in
Sigrid's upper buttocks and in her thighs (same places you used to give
shots).  Only had a kink once in six months so far.  There have been
lots of parents on this list indicate that their kids had problems when
using the Quick-sets in the tummy (e.g., kinking), so we haven't tried
that.  Arms theoretically should work as well as legs, but I think the
tubing would be "in the way".

She has gotten quite used to the site changes - she yelps for no more
than two seconds when it goes in, but that's it.  Sometimes she doesn't
complain at all.  The inserter device is a big help in making this
happen in the blink of an eye.  Also, she now insists on playing with
the inserter after it's done its thing - maybe this makes her feel she
has some control over the situation.  For us, using Emla or Ela-max to
numb the area before insertion didn't actually help - it just got her
keyed up for the half-hour you needed to wait for it to work - and then
the sites didn't stick well anyway (unless you washed the skin
thoroughly, and dried, before attaching the new site.)  So for Sigrid,
the unanesthetized, two-second approach seems to work best.  We change
her site three times a week - Tuesday and Thursday evenings, and Sunday
morning.  This is pretty close to the recommended every-two-days, but
easier to remember.  We use skin-prep, and the sites have stuck very
well with this.  The few sites that have come off have usually been
after a warm bath, and after we had used Ela-Max on the skin before

We haven't tried the Silhouette (longer cannula, at a sharp angle - vs.
the quickset 6 mm or 9 mm cannula at a right angle) but lots of parents
on the list have indicated that it works well.  The main complaint
seems to be that the long needle is scary-looking.

pumpmama to Sigrid, dx'd @ 11 mos., pumping since 17 mos., just turned
two this October.