[IPp] Re: First week over

On Monday, October 20, 2003, at 04:15 PM, Catherine wrote:

> What would REALLY be great, is if they wrote a Pumping Insulin geared
> toward
> pediatric patients.  I flip through the book, but the insulin amounts
> are HUGE,
> and it throws me off. I can't absorb the math and concepts and
> re-calculate to
>  our needs all at the same time. Sometimes diabetes makes me feel
> really stupid.
> :)

Hi Catherine,

Yeah, I have to admit I was thrown by how little was in Pumping Insulin
for pediatric patients, and for toddlers/infants in particular.  It
sure would be nice if an owner's manual existed!

But re: diabetes making you feel stupid - stupid you aren't!  This
disease is demanding far more of you, brain-exercise-wise, than most
Americans deal with, ever.  I have a friend who was one of the first
AIDS patients on triple-combination therapy (HAART).  I remember being
on vacation with him about six years ago - he carried a backpack with
at least two day's worth of meds everywhere he went, and he had a very
strict regimen of which drugs he needed to take morning, noon, night,
midmorning, midafternoon, mid-night - some on a empty stomach, some
only on a full stomach, some with acid (e.g. lemon juice or Coke).  For
each meal, he would down an entire 35 mm film-can's worth of
prescription meds and vitamins (with slightly fewer for the
between-meal doses).  With today's better AIDS drugs, his life is
somewhat simplified, but still - when we visited him for a few days
last fall and he saw us juggling Sigrid's insulin against her blood
sugar readings, food intake, and activity level - he claimed that her
diabetes was harder to deal with than his AIDS treatment had been!
After all, he only had to follow orders - lots of orders, but still, he
never had to make decisions about what dose to give himself.

I think there may not be another disease where the patient needs to be
so much in control, and so much constantly making medical decisions on
their own, as diabetes.   Rather than letting it make you feel stupid -
rise to the challenge and let it make you smarter!

- Maria
pumpmama to Sigrid, 2 y.o., dx'd @11 mos., pumping since 17 mos.