[IPp] Re: First week over

Good move on the dilution!  Now, if we could get Deltec to grade their
carbs in tenth's.  Face it, trying to adjust the food coverage by going
1:6 to 1:7 (which means 1:24 to 1:28 - what happened to 25,26,&27?) is
a real pain in the behind.

See comments to specific sections below.

> Thank you for your reply!  We are currently diluting the insulin 50/50,
> although our endo didn't really recommend it.  We think that her
> insulin
> needs may still go up slightly, but, if they don't, I think diluting 4
> 1 will be our best option.  Especially since her correction factor is
> 270
> with U50 insulin, and the pump currently does not accept a factor over
> 200.

This is the reason we went to 1:4, so we could tell the pump her
correction was 1:100 when in reality it's 1:400.

>  At night, we have a six hour period or so where she gets 0.05 unit
> one hour and then the pump is off for two.  We're working to see if
> that
> is too much or too little - she has varied a fair amount from night to
> night.  I would prefer to dilute the insulin more so that the pump
> didn't
> shut off for two hours at a time as I worry about clogs.

Sigrid has changed pretty much continuously from day 1.  Until last
month, her early am basal was 0.15 U/hr (remember, divide by 4!  That's
= 0.0375 U/hr).  Then we adjusted her late pm basal to cover growth
hormone issues and within a day or two, we had to increase the early am
to 0.25U/hr, she was going high.  Plus we had to decrease the late am
(pre-lunch) since she was going low right after nap.  The learning:
fiddling in one time affects other times you don't think will be

>  We'll see how
> her insulin needs go over the next couple of weeks.  We had always used
> Novolog with NPH when she was on shots, but we switched to Humalog when
> we decided to dilute.  We found a pharmacy that would make the U50 for
> us, but I wonder if making it ourselves would be better.  I had them
> make
> us two vials of U50 insulin, because I wanted another one on hand in
> case
> we dropped one.  But, the insulin is already "open" once they have
> diluted it so, at least in theory, I will just have to get rid of that
> extra vial at the end of the month.  If I diluted it myself, I could
> keep
> extras of diluent and Humalog on hand to mix when needed.  Any
> suggestions?

I usually make two vials at a time (each contains 8 mLs of fluid, 2 of
insulin + 6 of diluent).  Each vial lasts 2-3 weeks.  I keep them in
the fridge and don't worry too much about the "open" issue since I've
only been into the vial once to make it.

> We have also been having a problem of having highs two to four hours
> after meals.  We are working to sort out if that is a basal or bolus
> problem.  We are guessing it is a bolus problem because it seems to
> happen no matter what time her meal is.  I think that her insulin peaks
> and poops out fairly quickly so we are first trying an extended meal
> bolus to see if that helps her numbers two hours after eating.  Do you
> find that your insulin action time is shorter with such a young pumper?
> Do you use the extended bolus feature with your little one?

See above and...  Sigrid is nowhere near "normal" 2 hours post meal.
We bolus for food after she's done eating.  If we check her at 2hr post
meal, she's way high, but if we check at 21/2 to 3 hours she'll be
close to normal, so we wait.  I'm assuming/hoping that this pattern
will go away once we start bolusing pre-meals (non-toddler!).  We've
stayed with the default "3 hours" of insulin action on the pump only
because we haven't tried to measure the time of action in Sigrid (too
many other things would have to happen first...).  When she was on NPH,
I can guarantee you that its action was far shorter than advertised
(peak at 5 hrs, gone by 10 hrs).

We haven't used the extended bolus feature too much yet.  Haven't
figured out her response to food yet.  Cheese ravioli we cover straight
up, no problem.  Ice cream seems to send her high for 5 hours post food
- we think.  Still testing.

Isn't it great that our children are ongoing biology experiments?

David Jensen
Father to Sigrid, Dx 9/02 @ 11 months, Pumping Cozmo 4/03.