From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of Natalie G Rodgers
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2003 7:49 PM
To: email @ redacted
Cc: email @ redacted
Subject: [IPp] Re: First week over

 Thank you for your reply! We are currently diluting the insulin 50/50, although
our endo didn't really recommend it.  We think that her insulin needs may still
go up slightly, but, if they don't, I think diluting 4 to 1 will be our best
 option. Especially since her correction factor is 270 with U50 insulin, and the
pump currently does not accept a factor over 200.  At night, we have a six hour
 period or so where she gets 0.05 unit one hour and then the pump is off for
We're working to see if that is too much or too little - she has varied a fair
amount from night to night.  I would prefer to dilute the insulin more so that
the pump didn't shut off for two hours at a time as I worry about clogs.  We'll
see how her insulin needs go over the next couple of weeks.  We had always used
Novolog with NPH when she was on shots, but we switched to Humalog when we
decided to dilute.  We found a pharmacy that would make the U50 for us, but I
wonder if making it ourselves would be better.  I had them make us two vials of
U50 insulin, because I wanted another one on hand in case we dropped one.  But,
the insulin is already "open" once they have diluted it so, at least in theory,
I will just have to get rid of that extra vial at the end of the month.  If I
diluted it myself, I could keep extras of diluent and Humalog on hand to mix
when needed.  Any suggestions?

We have also been having a problem of having highs two to four hours after
meals.  We are working to sort out if that is a basal or bolus problem.  We are
guessing it is a bolus problem because it seems to happen no matter what time
her meal is.  I think that her insulin peaks and poops out fairly quickly so we
are first trying an extended meal bolus to see if that helps her numbers two
hours after eating.  Do you find that your insulin action time is shorter with
such a young pumper?
Do you use the extended bolus feature with your little one?

Thanks again for your reply.  I don't know what I would do without this email

-Natalie Rodgers
Mom to Andrea 4 (dx 1/28/03, pumping Cozmo 10/2/03), Alicia 2, and Carlos 4
months Married to Tom for over 7 fabulous years Salt Lake City, UT

 The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up
FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!