[IPp] Re: First week over

Thank you for your reply!  We are currently diluting the insulin 50/50,
although our endo didn't really recommend it.  We think that her insulin
needs may still go up slightly, but, if they don't, I think diluting 4 to
1 will be our best option.  Especially since her correction factor is 270
with U50 insulin, and the pump currently does not accept a factor over
200.  At night, we have a six hour period or so where she gets 0.05 unit
one hour and then the pump is off for two.  We're working to see if that
is too much or too little - she has varied a fair amount from night to
night.  I would prefer to dilute the insulin more so that the pump didn't
shut off for two hours at a time as I worry about clogs.  We'll see how
her insulin needs go over the next couple of weeks.  We had always used
Novolog with NPH when she was on shots, but we switched to Humalog when
we decided to dilute.  We found a pharmacy that would make the U50 for
us, but I wonder if making it ourselves would be better.  I had them make
us two vials of U50 insulin, because I wanted another one on hand in case
we dropped one.  But, the insulin is already "open" once they have
diluted it so, at least in theory, I will just have to get rid of that
extra vial at the end of the month.  If I diluted it myself, I could keep
extras of diluent and Humalog on hand to mix when needed.  Any

We have also been having a problem of having highs two to four hours
after meals.  We are working to sort out if that is a basal or bolus
problem.  We are guessing it is a bolus problem because it seems to
happen no matter what time her meal is.  I think that her insulin peaks
and poops out fairly quickly so we are first trying an extended meal
bolus to see if that helps her numbers two hours after eating.  Do you
find that your insulin action time is shorter with such a young pumper?
Do you use the extended bolus feature with your little one?

Thanks again for your reply.  I don't know what I would do without this
email list!

-Natalie Rodgers
Mom to Andrea 4 (dx 1/28/03, pumping Cozmo 10/2/03), Alicia 2, and Carlos
4 months
Married to Tom for over 7 fabulous years
Salt Lake City, UT

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!