[IPp] Re: First week over

I strongly recommend you dilute your insulin.  We couldn't keep Sigrid
"even" with the standard U100 insulin in the pump.  Then found out that
you can get diluent for FREE from Lilly {ask you pharmacist to get it.
Lilly will send it to the pharmacist and they give it to you.  Buy
syringes (3 mL and 5 mL) from the pharmacy}.  We're using Humalog, but
I have heard of others who dilute their Novalog with the Lilly diluent.
  I've also heard rumor that Novo will be offering up their own diluent
come the end of this year.  You might want to check that out.

We dilute the insulin 1:4 (2 mLs of insulin, 6 mLs of diluent).  We
then lie to the pump and tell it that we need 4 times the volume or 4
times LESS the correction factor.  For example, Sigrid's BG will drop
400 points with one unit of insulin.  We tell the pump that her insulin
to BG ratio is 1:100 - four fold less.  Also, what this does is get the
pump out into a range of basal delivery rates that are not right at the
edge of its abilities.  Although the Cozmo CAN deliver 0.05 Units per
hour, it does a much better job of delivering 0.2 Units per hour.  Much
of Sigrid's day is spent at "0.25 units/hour" (0.0625 "U-100" units per
hour).  We've obtained much better control combining the pump and
diluted insulin.

Contact us if you have any questions.  Good luck.

David Jensen
Father to Sigrid, Dx 9/02 @ 11 months, Pumping Cozmo 4/03.
1005 Green St.
Durham, NC 27701