Re: [IPp] First week over

I am so glad that your first week has gone well.  Our first two weeks
have been very challenging.  Our daughter has proved to be VERY sensitive
to insulin.  Her basals (in U100 equivalents) range from 0.00 or 0.025 on
alternating hours to 0.2 units/hour.  Her correction factor is 1 to 540
and her meal ratios range from 40 (breakfast) to 100 (bedtime).  Our pump
trainer said she has never seen anything like our daughter's sensitivity
even though our trainer has put little babies on pumps.  It does seem,
though, that Andrea's insulin needs may be starting to increase now.  It
has been extremely frustrating in many ways.

At the same time, I would not choose to go back to shots.  I still feel
the pump will be the way for Andrea, I just wish we were able to get it
figured out in a week like some people do.  I would not discourage anyone
from putting their child on the pump, I would just say to be prepared for
what can sometimes turn out to be a difficult transition.

I am really grateful for this email group.  Many of you have provided
great support, which I have really needed.  THANKS!

Natalie Rodgers
Mom to Andrea 4 (dx 1/28/03, pumping Cozmo 10/2/03), Alicia 2, and Carlos
4 months
Married to Tom for over 7 fabulous years
Salt Lake City, UT

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!