[IPp] Filling reservoir with infusion sets

Hi Parents!

I am trying to get back into the swing of things by reading up on my
IPdigests and POPdigests, but I have hundreds to go through so it will
take time.  As we all know, there is a lot to pumping, and even more to
pumping under less than optimum circumstances. The following trick might
help out in thos less than optimum circumstances :)

I posted this to the IPDigest a few days ago.
Hi folks!
This was going to be a panic email to our US pumping friends because a
friend of mine is on her way to Boston from New Brunswick Canada and she
didn't pack any reservoirs for her son's pump.  Lots of everything
else..just no reservoirs, save the one presently in the pump.  She
called me from the middle of nowhere. What to do!!!??  To make matters
worse, she is on a cellphone and is cutting out every few minutes.
During one of those 'out of touch' episodes I decided to try something I
had never thought of doing before.

Kudos to you if you have already figured this one out, but it is a
newbie for me and will be added to our Tips and Tricks list.  Necessity
is the mother of invention. This worked for me the first time I tried it
but I don't know if it will ever work again. YMMV!

If you have also done this successfully, could you puleeeeze let me
know.  At least I will know it wasn't just a lucky shot.  No pun
intended.  Well, maybe a little one.

What to do when you didn't pack reservoirs for your minimed pump (not a
Paradigm), and you are travelling OUT OF COUNTRY, and you are not near
civilization, and your son's reservoir just ran out, and you don't have
any of the needles from atop the reservoir to draw up insulin, but you
have packed a bunch of extra sils/comforts/tenders:
First - you panic
Secondly - pull over and turn on the dome light
Thirdly - take your silhouette out of its packing.  Remove the sheath
from the introducer needle but leave all tape in place.  With a steady
firm push, insert the needle from the silhouette into your vial of
insulin. Carefully remove the introducer needle, leaving the cannula in
the insulin vial.  Attach the tubing from the silhouette to the infusion
site which is hanging from the insulin vial.  Next, take your empty
reservoir and pull out the plunger so it is full of air.  Hook the
infusion set tubing to the top of the reservoir.  MAKE SURE THE CANNULA
units (approx) of air from the reservoir into the vial gently and
slowly.  Once you have done than, start drawing insulin through the
cannula in the vial, up through the tubing and into the used reservoir.
I couldn't believe it actually worked  AND, when I withdrew the
silhouette from the vial the cannula was nice and straight and I
actually reinserted the introducer needle.  In a HUGE pinch, you might
actually be able to use it. In fact, I just tried reinserting the same
silhouette into the vial to see if it would work again (can't waste
those things) and goshdarn it, it worked again.

So, whether this is new to others or not, it sure was fun for me to find
out it worked!!  Although our daughter uses Quicksets, we always have a
few sils in her pumping bag, just in case.  Now I know they have
multiple uses.

Happy Pumping!

Barb Chafe
Mom to Erica, the Canadian Butterfly