[IPp] Re: raging hormones in teens

Barbara A. Petzoldt posted (snipped):

I would like to hear from parents or males young enough to give
me ideas on how to deal with my sons raging hormones
affecting his blood sugars.

Hi Barbara,

Boy do I know what you're facing!  Noah is 17 now and hormones have
calmed down, but from ages 14-16 it was a battle trying to keep his
bg's in range, especially during the night.  I chose to go
conservatively in increasing his nighttime basal rate since his bg's
fluctuated so much from night to night and then test once or twice
during the early morning hours.  I'd test at 1:00 or 2:00 a.m. and
then again at 3:00 or 4:00 a.m. if I felt the need based on the first
test result and his activity level, etc. for that day.  My husband
would then test him between 5:00 and 6:00 a.m. when he got up.  This
is just what I felt comfortable with and what worked for us.  In
addition to his physical activity differing from day to day, he was
also a late night snacker.  Those two elements had the most impact on
his bg fluctuation.

The only advice I can give you is:  if Zachary is a late night
snacker, try and find a couple of snacks that you feel most
knowledgeable about as far as their impact on his bgs over their
duration.  Noah unfortunately often chose high fat snacks which
lingered for many hours (sometimes up to 8 or more).

You might find that you can safely raise Zach's basals overnight
without all the testing...every teen is different.  The key to doing
that is consistency in day to day activity, eating habits, etc. so
you've eliminated everything but raging hormones but we never had
that with our teen!

Best of luck to you and Zachary!  Hang in there...it does get better!