From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of Cindy Lattimer
Sent: Friday, October 10, 2003 11:58 AM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IPp] Glucose Tablets

Dear All,
  I have not spoke out in a while because I have been extremely busy
 (cheerleading, starting a local support group for diabetic children, etc.) but
have run into yet another problem with my daughter's school involving glucose
tablets.  I have a feeling that you guys are going to just love this
one:
  Yesterday, my 9 year old daughter was suspended from school for 3 days because
 she handed out glucose tablets on the bus to 5 of her friends who had begged
her
 for them. I went into the school armed with this letter from her diabetic nurse
from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia:

According to the guidelines for care of students with diabetes in public and
private schools in new jersey (available on the internet) signed by
representatives from government, healthcare and school representatives, glucose
tablets are SPECIFICALLY NOTED TO NOT BE MEDICATION< BUT THE SAME AS LIFE
SAVERS.  JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE MARKETED AS A TREATMENT FOR LOW BLOOD GLUCOSE
DOES NOT MEAN THAT THEY HAVE ANYTHING OTHER THAN SUGAR IN THEM>  THIS IS A
DEMONSTRATION OF GROSS IGNORANCE.  THere have been numerous examples of school
officials be castigated for actions identical to this.  They should reverse
their action on this matter immediately and apologize.

  I went into the school with this letter and a copy of the guidelines (which I
had previously provided for them) and they still decided to suspend her. They
called all of the parents of the 5 children and are still treating this as if
she handed out a medication.  I have a meeting with a lawyer tomorrow afternoon
and have tried to contact an advocate for my area with no luck as of yet.  The
 therapist that Jessy sees (and who now has to have a conversation with her
about
the distribution of drugs before she is allowed to return to
school) and a diabetic nurse from our local area both called the school
yesterday on Jessy's behalf, but they did not listen.
  Has anyone out there ever had to go through something like this?  Are there
 any suggestions you may have for me to guide me that I have not already taken?
 am one very angry mother right now. I have pulled both of my daughters from the
school at this point and have an interview with a Christian Academy next week.
I feel like Jessy has been discriminated once too many times now by this school
 (I don't know if any of you remember the problems we encountered with the
school
nurse or the fight we finally won to let Jessy check her sugars in the
classroom)  But this is the final straw for me.  This will be going on her
permanent record!
  Thanks for listening!
 Cindy, pump mom to Jessy, age 9 dx.1/02, Julie, age 5 non-diab., & Trevor, age
2
non-diab.