[IPp] Glucose Tablets

Dear All,
  I have not spoke out in a while because I have been extremely busy
(cheerleading, starting a local support group for diabetic children, etc.) but
I have run into yet another problem with my daughter's school involving
glucose tablets.  I have a feeling that you guys are going to just love this
one:
  Yesterday, my 9 year old daughter was suspended from school for 3 days
because she handed out glucose tablets on the bus to 5 of her friends who had
begged her for them.  I went into the school armed with this letter from her
diabetic nurse from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia:

According to the guidelines for care of students with diabetes in public and
private schools in new jersey (available on the internet) signed by
representatives from government, healthcare and school representatives,
glucose tablets are SPECIFICALLY NOTED TO NOT BE MEDICATION< BUT THE SAME AS
LIFE SAVERS.  JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE MARKETED AS A TREATMENT FOR LOW BLOOD
GLUCOSE DOES NOT MEAN THAT THEY HAVE ANYTHING OTHER THAN SUGAR IN THEM>  THIS
IS A DEMONSTRATION OF GROSS IGNORANCE.  THere have been numerous examples of
school officials be castigated for actions identical to this.  They should
reverse their action on this matter immediately and apologize.

  I went into the school with this letter and a copy of the guidelines (which
I had previously provided for them) and they still decided to suspend her.
They called all of the parents of the 5 children and are still treating this
as if she handed out a medication.  I have a meeting with a lawyer tomorrow
afternoon and have tried to contact an advocate for my area with no luck as of
yet.  The therapist that Jessy sees (and who now has to have a conversation
with her about the distribution of drugs before she is allowed to return to
school) and a diabetic nurse from our local area both called the school
yesterday on Jessy's behalf, but they did not listen.
  Has anyone out there ever had to go through something like this?  Are there
any suggestions you may have for me to guide me that I have not already taken?
I am one very angry mother right now.  I have pulled both of my daughters from
the school at this point and have an interview with a Christian Academy next
week.  I feel like Jessy has been discriminated once too many times now by
this school (I don't know if any of you remember the problems we encountered
with the school nurse or the fight we finally won to let Jessy check her
sugars in the classroom)  But this is the final straw for me.  This will be
going on her permanent record!
  Thanks for listening!
Cindy, pump mom to Jessy, age 9 dx.1/02, Julie, age 5 non-diab., & Trevor, age
2 non-diab.