[IPp] Pumping Cozmo with u50

We just started the Cozmo 2 weeks ago.  It is completely worth it to me to
dilute.  Doing the math is a huge pain in the rumpus, and it's one of the
reasons we got the Cozmo.  I really like dosing by carbs.

(1) How many people are using U50 Humalog and has that worked well for you?
long does mixed insulin keep since it is obviously already an open vial as it
was mixed at the pharmacy. Is U50 more expensive than U100 Humalog?

We're using Humalog diluted to U50 - I'm doing the diluting.  My pharmacist
(small community pharmacy) is ordering the sterile bottles and the diluent
Lilly.  We're still using what we were given at the hospital.  The diluent
be in until Thursday.  I don't know about more expensive, it's covered by our
insurance.  I was told to keep it in the fridge, and it will last all month.
Then,  throw it out and make new.

(2) Do many of you have children with a correction factor of 400 and a carb
factor of 90 to 100? Is this kid still honeymooning or is she just really
sensitive to insulin? Her TDD on shots was 10.5 units/day (7 N, 2 A at
breakfast, 1/2 A at dinner and 1 N at bedtime). She is four and weighs 35-36
pounds. We are blessed that she has had good HbA1c's since diagnosis (6.7 and
then 6.4), so her doctor felt pretty confident they knew how much insulin she
would need on the pump. Maybe she was really sensitive to Novolog and not at
sensitive to NPH. What do you think?

(3) Did you see a drop in TDD when your child when on the pump? Did it
If so, when? and did it return to the TDD your child had previous to using

Emma is 4 and weighs 37 pounds.  Her correction factor is 320.  Her carb
is 75.  She isn't honeymooning anymore. Her TDD on Lantus and H was about 7-8
total.  It was a bit more when she was on NPH and H.  Our TDD on the U50 is
around 12, but these past few days, she's needed correcting down from over
every 2 hours.  I think her insulin needs are heading up.

Just FYI, did the Cozmo rep tell you they are upgrading the software in a
months?  The correction factor will go up to 400, and I think the carb factor
will go up to 200.  It was weird for me when Emma switched to the pump.  Her
correction factor on Lantus and H was 1:180, now she's 1:320, but I suspect
for long.  Also, pre-pump her carb ratios ranged from 1:10 to 1:30.  Now
at 1:30 and 1:40.  (All numbers are U100).

I'm calling the nurse/endo on Monday, so I'll let you know what they say!

Mom to Madeline 9, Austin 7, Emma 4 dx 10/9/02 - pumping Cozmo 9/22/03,
3, Genevieve & Gracie 1