[IPp] Freestyle meter

 I know that a lot of you use the Freestyle meter on your kids. I was wondering
how it works for you, because I'm trying to decide if our meter is just finicky,
or whether they all act like this.

 Claire started using it late last spring. She uses the Freestyle at home and
continues to use her Ultra One Touch when she is out of the house. We like the
Ultra's small and handy carrying case and fast results, but get quite a few
error messages when the blood hasn't sucked up fast enough. I find the Freestyle
awkward and bulky, but Claire likes to use it at home due to the smaller blood
sample required.

 Anyhow, when we went on holiday in July, I brought both meters but we were
using the Freestyle primarily, as I always had to carry everything anyhow due to
the heat if left in the car. When we camped for the first night (after 3 nights
in hotels), the meter started acting up and wouldn't work. I am wondering if it
is extremely sensitive to humidity changes? Where we live is very dry, but we
camped right along the Pacific Ocean and it was very damp and cool. So I just
put that meter away for the rest of the trip.

 It has continued to act funny at home. Very often when I put a strip into the
meter, it starts beeping Error xx until I remove the strip. Sometimes the strip
just won't work, and other times when I re-insert the same strip it is then just
fine. Then, after removing the strip after getting a bg result, the meter beeps
with another Error number, until the used strip is removed. This happens with
all the strip vials, we have gone through quite a few in the last 6 weeks and
they are all the same.

 So, does this happen to anyone else? I think the Freestyle bg readings are
accurate, now and again I check it against the Ultra, which has always been very
accurate when tested at the Lab.

Barbara, Mum of Claire 9