re: [IPp] Walk for Diabetes

<<<<from Sarah:
I am so excited I just got a call from the school nurse at Matt's school
saying that she and the gym teacher would like to organize a walk for
diabetes to raise money and awareness in the school..just for Matt.  I was so
touched!  They wanted to know if I would be willing to help out. I said HELL
YEAH!!! >>>>>>>

Sarah, glad to hear that Matthew's school is so supportive.  Our PE teacher has
worked with the ADA school walk the past 2 years, and it's been wonderfully
supportive too.  We have 3 kids w/ D. at Luke's school (last year was 4 -
oldest one moved to middle school) but we're the only parents who feel
comfortable with saying "we deal with this" & letting people know that Luke
does have it.   We have as good a turnout of $$ as the teacher gets with Jump
Rope for Heart (Amer. Heart Assn) that they've been doing for much longer.
Plus everyone is so warm toward Luke.  My husband & I help out each year, with
a letter, putting up the bulletin board for the walk, & we come out to walk w/
all the classes.  Last year the more quiet parents helped with the forms &
counting the $$, so it's become easier for us to do now.  We get super feedback
on the education aspect of this - lots of folks know people with either Type 1
or 2, they don't know the difference or the symptoms & they appreciate
learning.  I like it that everyone at school actually knows that Luke has D. &
a little something about it - it's really reduced the # of stupid comments he
has to deal with (like "my dad says if you eat too much sugar you get

Bless you, Shelly V, mom to Luke, 7, dx'd 10/99, pumping 3/01

Do you Yahoo!?