Re: [IPp] I have to vent!

You absolutely are not overreacting.  The teacher is underreacting.  Let's
just forgot for a minute the negative effects this can have on a student
academically and personally (although those are certainly valid points) and
focus on the life threatening consequences of low bg.  What might have
happened that day if he had had to go to the nurse's office to test?  Not
only does my son test in the classroom, he has access to juice without the
nurse (or in our case, clinic aide - we have no nurse).  His teacher is more
than willing to help him whenever he needs it.  Checking bgs and treating is
part of life for people with diabetes.  To say that it is disruptive is like
saying that going to the bathroom is disruptive and yet as far as I know
every single human on the planet some how fits that disruptive behavior into
their day.  You  have a 504 and it is not open to the teacher's
interpretation or comfort level.  It is not the teacher's right to choose
how to manage your child's life-threatening illness.  I would call a meeting
with the teacher, nurse and principal.  I would try to find an advocate to
attend with you and I would ask the endo to call in an explain how your son
is to manage his diabetes.

Explain to her that a seizure would be far more disruptive than testing and
drinking juice.  Ask her if she knows the meaning of the word 'compassion?'
Stories like this make me glad I fought so hard with the principal last year
to select my son's teacher.  Now I know I did the right thing.

Go get 'em!