Re: [IPp] Re: pop-digest V1 #223

In a message dated 10/14/2002 12:26:50 PM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I'd also like to hear from parents of young pumpers.  My son is 3 1/2 and
> has been on the pump since 14 months.   At what age are you having success
> with your children doing their own BG checks?  With punching in boluses
> under supervision?

Jacob (5 years old) can check his own sugar with his One Touch Ultra and then
read me back the number (I still have to look once and a while because he
gets 5's and 2's backwards some times).  I personally don't want him punching
in his own insulin doses.  I am sure that he could do it if I showed him but
I don't want him touching his pump at all yet.  He just isn't old enough to
really know what can happen if he gives himself too much insulin.  I do still
change lancets for Jacob though just because ir is easier for me to do it
than for him to do it.  Jacob was dx'd at 22 months and just now started
doing his own checks though.  I think every kid is different.