[IPp] Re: B.C. Endos

Hi Barb,
     We moved here to Kelowna, not quite one year ago.  The Endo in Ontario
that started Claire on a pump referred us to Dr.Dan at our request.  We
didn't see her for long--I moved to Ontario when we returned from living in
Ireland and my husband went to Kelowna.  We stayed in Ontario to get Claire
started on a pump and for her to have some major surgery at Sick Kids
Hospital in Toronto.  I didn't want the surgery done anywhere else as the
surgeon had done her first operation, and I also wouldn't have it done
without her pumping.   Sick Kids refused us a pump but then I found another
endo who was great and on the first visit to her said "why not?" when I said
I wanted Claire started on a pump immediately.  (I listed her in the IP
directory of pump docs)  The entire team were so friendly and relaxed.  I
think it stemmed from them being able to work part time, as they were all
working mums with young kids, and not being right in the centre of hectic
Toronto.  We only had a couple of appointments there before moving out here.
     Saw Dr. Dan in May 2002 and he was borderline rude with us.  Did not
even examine Claire, left it to a medical student.  They were strongly
discouraging anyone who did not live in Vancouver from coming there.  If he
had any words of wisdom, he chose not to share them with me.  I also found
the nurse borderline obnoxious.  I hated everything about our visit there.
It had been a major 4 day trip.  As he is the one in charge of the diabetes
camp, I'm not sure I want to ever send Claire to camp either.  Our
paediatrician here says I must have caught him on a bad day, that he is a
nice guy etc.  So I face the prospect of no knowledgeable doctor for Claire
until she grows up.  Doctors here haven't even seen a pump before, but our
paediatrician is quite willing to listen and learn from me about it and to
offer helpful suggestions when she can.
     Claire started skiing last year and it also often sends her high.  But
not every time, so its tricky.   As so many people ski in Kelowna, its one
thing that the CDE here hears a lot about.  And apparently it does send a lot
of peoples' bgs up.  I worry so much about her going low on the mountain--it
very scary how easily you can become lost or disoriented in the snow there
even without a low bg (we go to Big White).  I don't like her out of my
sight, but its hard when all my kids can ski so much better than I'll ever be
able to!

Best regards,
Barbara, Mum of Claire 8