[IPp] Re: pop-digest V1 #223

On 10/10/02 6:20 AM, "pop-digest" <email @ redacted> wrote:

> Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 06:19:22 EDT
> From: email @ redacted
> Subject: Re: [IPp] Re: lancets
> We are changing our lancets for every single test that we do. We go thru on
> average 6-12 lancets per day.  I was wondering if you worry about infection
> with using only one per day?  We were told by our endo that they were for one
> time use and then you throw them away in the sharps container.  Just curious.

I'd like to chime in about the re-use of lancets.  I've seen a scanning
electron micrograph photo of a lancet before and after one use.  At first it
was smooth, after one use it was very ragged.  The difference then, would be
in the tidyness of the wound it made, how much it hurt, and how quickly it
healed.  We used to re-use lancets until I saw that photo!

On another note, I attended a lecture in which the speaker said that pain
from finger sticks could be reduced in the lancet were "thrown" and not
spring loaded (it actually bounces and pricks the skin multiple times in a
fraction of a second), and also if the lancet travelled on a track to quide
it.  Without a track it actually wiggles quite a bit.

Does any one have any information on such a wonderful lancet pen?  We use
the BD ultrafine lancets and pen set on one.  However, the secret to good
control and safety is frequent checking so less pain is better!

I'd also like to hear from parents of young pumpers.  My son is 3 1/2 and
has been on the pump since 14 months.   At what age are you having success
with your children doing their own BG checks?  With punching in boluses
under supervision?

Toby, Mother to David dx'd at nearly one year old