Re: [IPp] Attendance at school.

Dear Barbara,

I am so sorry.  I know Jessy ended up missing about 6 weekd of school
last year once she was diagnosed, but fortunately, she had an incredible
teacher, who even came to the house to help her with her homework.  This
year, though, the teachers seem to have a hard time sending her work home
to do when they know in advance that she is going to miss school.  Oh
well.  If I were you, I would talk to some type of councelor, maybe
family councelor at first.  School can be a stressful time for a normal
hormonal child, when you throw diabetes into the mix, it seems awfully
unfair.  I have Jessy talk to her guidance councelor once a week (she is
the best person in our school for the job).  It makes Jessy feel better,
and they do fun things together (like little luncheons) instead of just
all talk.  I am very pleased with the work this woman has done with
Jessy, and it has helped her with her anger issues.

I wish you the very best of luck.

email @ redacted >To: email @ redacted,
email @ redacted >Subject: [IPp] Attendance at
school. >Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 03:03:58 EDT > >Insulin Pumpers is made
possible by contributions from forum >members and supporters in industry.
Your tax deductible donation >of $1.00 or $2.00 per month is needed so
that Insulin Pumpers can >continue to serve you and diabetes community.
Please visit: > > http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml > >Your
annual contribution will eliminate this header from your IP mail > >My
hubby asked me to post to the lists tonight regarding an arguement >we
were having earlier. > >Our son is in 7th grade (middle school). Last
year when he started >there he had an okay fall, but stress related to
his grandmothers >deterioration from cancer and then death in December,
plus stress >from living with me who was totally messed up at that time,
mixed in >with........HORMONES for the first time, created HAVOC! He
started >missing lots of school in December, and by mid January quit
attending >school altogether. He was in and out of DKA for the next
month. And >yes, he was diagnosed as being in that state by two
hospitals, but >was never admitted as even with all the vomiting we could
eventually >get it stopped each time and fluids pushed orally. His PH
levels were >low, blood sugars were off the charts, we spent a lot of
days hanging >out at hospitals Endo floor, but avoided the ER each time.
> >He started pumping 2/15/02, but due to nonsence from his school, he
was >kept from returning until after spring break the beginning of April.
By >that >time, he was so stressed/freaked out by the administration and
nursing >team that he couldn't even think about school without causing
his blood >sugars to double. Attending school for even an hour guaranteed
a >tripling of his blood sugars. Needless to say, he stayed home the rest
>of the year. > >NOW, even though we implemented new plans to keep him
from nurses >claws, (testing himself in the classroom, bolusing himself
for corrections, >doing his own carb calculations on his meal choices,
etc.), the year >is quickly falling apart again. He was healthy as a
horse all summer! >No bad numbers unless his site failed. > >Then school
starts and he picks up two viruses the first two weeks, misses >a few
days each time. We've been in school since 8/19 and he has >caught about
5 viruses, plus a sinus infection so far. And his hormones >might have
taken off again the last week or so. Plus, they started >messing with the
interpretation of his IEP and started denying access >to homework until
he was out for three COMPLETE days in a row (doesn't >count day you are
sent home sick. Zachary struggles with a learning >disability which has
him reading/writing at about 15-18 months below his >grade level, though
his comprehension for things explained well or orally >learned is at the
grade level. > >Due to not getting work, we are about 1 1/2 weeks behind
the other >students. He can't take tests at home and they are piling up.
He started >developing what we thought was an ear infection two weeks
ago, but >the Ped diagnosed it as stress/tension headaches. Untreated
these >lead to his migraines. > >So, (sorry so long) here is the
question, how many of your children, >or you personally when younger, had
difficulties with attending school? >Hubby is afraid we are setting him
up for failure as an adult! We're on >the verge of giving up on the
system and homeschooling until high school, >though I hate to give up. He
has no friends near our home except girls. >He needs to socially interact
with his peers at school. So, are we >the unusual case? Or, do/have some
of you dealt with this? > >And when do boys quit being so hormonal? (Only
used to dealing >with hormonal teenage girls! LOL) > >Sincerely, >