Re: [IPp] Ketone Scales?

In a message dated 10/1/2002 3:44:34 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I am not sure how to calculate it, but I have been told by our endo that
> testing for ketones in urine is more accurate...?? Anyone know if this is
> true?

I've been told by SEVERAL docs/CDEs that the meter is FAR more accurate and
timely.  First because it's digital measurement system is more accurate than
a "strip" test (and less likely to have problems with contamination etc.) --
but mostly because it's measuring the actual level of ketones in the blood
stream right at the time of the test, rather than simply what has spilled
into the urine since the last time the individual urinated.

With testing urine ketones, you could show higher ketones than is actually
the current level if the person hasn't urinated for a number of hours (but
you've been treating the ketones with insulin) -OR- ketones could not yet
have spilled into the urine if the ketone level has just recently reached
measurable level.  Either way, a real time measurement of what's going on in
the bloodstream gives you better )more current & accurate) data to base
treatment decisions on than urine testing data . . . That's what I've been
told.  It makes sense to me.  Plus, my daughter is FAR more willing to do an
extra finger poke to check her ketones than she is to go "pee on a stick"
(which she hates) -- so, at least in her case, the meter data is undoubtedly
better than no data at all . . .

Pumpmama to Katie