[IPp] Diabetic Set for 16,000-Foot Climb

 This guy is pretty amazing! He has raised lots of money for JDRF... He has a
web-site link on the bottom of this article.
 I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving! There is so much to be thankful
Rachel ::)
Diabetic Set for 16,000-Foot Climb
Thu Nov 27, 4:04 AM ET
Add U.S. National - AP to My Yahoo!
By JUDY LIN, Associated Press Writer
 PITTSBURGH - A man trying to become the first diabetic to reach both of Earth's
poles and scale the world's highest mountains has his eye on a three-week climb
up Mount Vinson in Antarctica.

AP Photo
 Will Cross already has reached both poles and scaled Mount Aconcagua in South
America and Mount McKinley in North America. After climbing the 16,067-foot
Mount Vinson, he will tackle Mount Kilimanjaro in Africa and Mount Everest (news
- web sites), the world's highest peak, in Nepal.

 "Will's an adventurer," said Bob Cenk, a mountain guide who took Cross on his
first major climbing expedition on Mount Aconcagua. "He wants to see other
things and he's been able to turn a disability into an advantage."

 Cenk said Cross' sense of adventure has him seeking new routes on Mount Vinson,
which he plans to depart for on Thursday. Cross will climb Mount Kilimanjaro
with him next year.

 Carrying a 50-pound backpack and traveling with a group of experienced mountain
climbers, Cross will have the extra task of giving himself insulin shots that he
needs to maintain his blood sugar level.

 He'll also consume 5,000 calories a day on a diet filled with stews, energy
bars, chocolate, cheese and plenty of coffee to keep from feeling disoriented
and numb from the cold and altitude.

 "Sometimes I have to force myself to get the food down, whereas other guys can
just say, 'Oh, I'll eat in the morning,'" Cross said.

 Besides monitoring his blood sugar, Cross will brave minus-30 degree
temperatures, warm for Antarctica's summers. For the Mount Everest climb, Cross
and his fellow climbers will need tanks of oxygen, which will add another 10
pounds to their load.

 Cross raises money for Type 1, or juvenile, diabetes. That form of the disease
happens when the pancreas doesn't produce enough insulin to help the body
produce glucose, which is used for energy. Type 2, or adult onset diabetes,
happens when cells do not use insulin effectively.

 "A lot of people think insulin is the cure. There's no cure for the disease.
It's just a Band-Aid," Cross said.

 Cross raised about $440,000 for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation when
he made his trek to the South Pole. In April 2001, he became the first diabetic
to reach the geographic North Pole. That trip was monitored by researchers at
the University of Pittsburgh who wanted to see how Cross would handle the rigors
of a polar hike.

 Cross, who will leave behind his wife and 6-month-old son on Thanksgiving for
Antarctica, has promised to be home in time for Christmas. He was trekking to
the South Pole during last year's holidays.

His wife, Amy, 33, said she'll understand if bad weather affects his return.

 "I have a family in Pittsburgh that I can spend holidays with," Amy Cross said.
"Besides, he would be a bear to live with only because he has such a passion for
what he does."

On the Net:

Will Cross: http://www.willcrossmotivates.com

Rachel - email @ redacted