Re: [IPp] question about basal rates

In a message dated 11/12/2003 9:50:58 AM Central Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:
Emily currently gets 3 units of Ultralente per day (1.5 in the morning,
in the evening), and on an "average" (ha ha) day, she gets about 7 units of H.
I don't know if you will have to dilute.  You may start with a basal rate
 that is more or less the same as the ultralente, but it might be increased
soon.  As I understand it, in my son's case (he's 12), they like the total
daily dose of basal to be about one half of the total daily dose of insulin
 (using 50% for meal boluses). Don't know if that formula holds true for younger

Dan has a cozmo and we love it.  It has some good features for kids, like
 alarms for missed boluses and bg tests, and it computes the dose the child
get, based on the bg he has and the carbs he has eaten, compensating for any
insulin he already has on board.  It also has a lockout feature to keep it
 from being tampered with, but the animas may have the same features I have
good things about that pump too.  We decided against the animas because at
least at that time, it had a smaller reservoir, though that is probably not a
factor for you right now.

Good Luck!