From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of Lori or Brian
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 7:55 AM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IPp] question about basal rates

  We are planning to get our 4yo daughter a pump within the next couple months.
am leaning toward the Cozmo, with Animas being my 2nd choice.

 I don't yet know how to figure basal rates, etc. (I plan to read "Pumping
Insulin"  soon), but I do know that both the Animas and the Cozmo can deliver
the basal rate at an increment of 0.05u, with the new Animas (coming out next
summer) having a  0.025u delivery capability. (Cozmo has some upgrades coming
out - will their basal increment decrease?).

 Anyway, it occurred to me that this may affect my decision as to which pump we
go  with. Emily currently gets 3 units of Ultralente per day (1.5 in the
morning, 1.5 in the evening), and on an "average" (ha ha) day, she gets about 7
units of H.

My very poor understanding is that the basal would be equivalent to the
ultralente....but with 3 units being delivered over a 24-hour period, every 3
minutes, that would be 0.01u and that is less than any pump can offer, which
means we'd need to dilute insulin - is that correct?

I'm sure I'm calculating something wrong (forgive me!), which is why I'm asking
this list!