From: email @ redacted
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 9:19 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IPp] Re: BD logic meter

Thanks everyone for their comments about this meter.  Based on what I've
 heard, I will pass on getting one. We don't need another meter, unless its
going to be a big improvement over what we have already.

The Freestyle Flash is not available in Canada.  When I spoke to Therasense
in the USA two weeks ago, they said they didn't know when it might be marketed
here.  It took over 18 months for them to get the Freestyle into our market
after the USA launch.

Speaking of meters, we had a funny experience with the Ascensia Breeze meter.
 A nurse was doing free HA1c tests on the Bayer DCA 2000 machine and was also
demonstrating the meter in Costco two weeks ago.  So Claire and I went to get
the HA1c done.  Thought to be polite we should at least try out the meter.  I
asked the nurse about it's accuracy if the sample wasn't big enough and she
assured me that it wouldn't start counting down without a sufficient sample.
Well Claire got a huge drop of blood and the meter started.....we waited and
waited and finally ERROR.  So she did it again, and at the same time we tested
with her accurate Ultra.  Again, ERROR on the Ascencia.  So the nurse looks
puzzled and gets new strips and the manual out, etc.  Claire willingly gets
 another huge drop of blood (don't know why she was so patient that day) and
finally the meter gives a reading.  It was half of what the Ultra reading was!
figured the sample size wasn't enough, and this was the result of that.  Nurse
(she was a rent-a-nurse) said that wasn't possible, but that is what happened
  with Bayer's Elite meter as well. So, I don't recommend the Ascencia to
We also hated the DEX meter, (similar) which we had to use while we lived in
the UK.

Another funny thing happened with getting our replacement Freestyle meter.
 The lady on the phone was so nice. Within a couple of days the courier brought
a big box to the door.  It felt awfully light, but hey, meters don't weigh
much, do they?  Well the box was empty!  They had forgotten to add the meter
into it, and had just sent an empty box to return the defective meter to the
  company. After phoning them, they sent another meter out by courier, in
huge box.  By then I was feeling bad, cause I could have bought another
Freestyle for $5 Canadian.  But the new one works great and the readings are
consistent with the first Freestyle and our Ultra One Touch.

Barbara, Mum of Claire 9