[IPp] Re: A1cs

In a message dated 11/13/2002 10:14:02 AM Pacific Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> We just got our A1c back from last thursday and my son Josh's went
> up from 6.5 to 7.2.  I didn't get a chance to talk to his nurse, the
> receptionist gave this number to me.  Is 7.2 good or bad?  Not sure what a
> toddler's A1c's should be.

       Your son is doing really well.  I think all doctors consider anything
under 8.0 just great for a child.   What is the normal reference range for
your lab's HA1c?  Different labs can have different normal ranges, although
there is no an attempt to standardize them everywhere.  If the 2 tests were
done at different labs, there can be a difference due to that.  Also, if the
test is done by fingerprick on the DCA2000 machine, there can be some
variance with that (similar to your home meter being variable).
       However, don't worry, things sound like they are going well and I'm
sure the doctor will reassure you on that.  They should be able to tell you
what the average blood glucose value is for that 7.2.

Barbara, Mum of Claire 8