Re: [IPp] Accomodations on cruises

> My in-laws have been promising my son that they would take him on a
> cruise over the spring break that he was 9.  They began these
> promises when they took my older son on a cruise, but this was
> before diagnosis.  Now that the time is nearly upon us (this April)
> I am feeling very concerned.  Our endo has said that he will call
> the ship's doctor and will be on call at anytime.  He will ask the
> doctor to see Scott once every day or couple of days (7 day cruise).
> My in-laws do have Scott spend the night once or twice a month, but
> they call me 3-4 times every night.  They can't dose insulin based
> on what he eats and have no idea how to determine basals.  I would
> feel a little less stressed if I felt his normal basals would work,
> but with such a different routine, I'm afraid that his insulin
> requirements will change.  Can anyone offer any advice?  Can the
> ship provide carb counts for food?  Anything else I can do to help
> make this work?  I promised myself when he was diagnosed, that I
> would never stop him from doing something based solely on diabetes
> and I want to stick to it, but this is really scary.

Just some ideas for what they are worth. Before Lily left for
college, night time basals were set so that her bg's would (on the
average) rise slowly in the night by 25 - 50 points. The hope was
that this would mitigate any lows caused by messed up evening bolus
or extra activity during the day. It's pretty hard to say how well it
worked, suffice it to say she's now been on her own for almost two
years and I've only had one call in the middle of the night from her
about being low -- and that was because she was lonely and just
wanted to chat while waiting for her bg's to rise. On the cruise ship
cusine, I rather suspect that they are geared up to deal with type II
folks that may count exchanges. That should work well enough if your
in-laws can subdivide "standard" portions into whatever you son may
wish to eat and bolus accordingly. The rule of thumb would be to eat
early and allow 4 hours or so before he goes to bed for any "bad"
stuff to show up. A bg test in the middle of the night might help as
well .... say 3 hours or so after he goes to sleep.