Re: [IPp] how much lantus

> Does anyone know how much Lantus to give a child who uses a total of 9.5
> units of NPH a day?  I have no idea and because it is not something that
> normally use in Canada, I cannot really ask our DER or Endo for advice.
> gets 7 units of NPH in the morning and 2.5 at bedtime.  When do you
> give the lantus, morning or bedtime?
> Any advice would be much appreciated.  I really want to get him started on
> this insulin as his sugars have been all over.  This morning we went down
> 1.1 (19.8) which is the lowest we've ever seen.  This is after I gave him
> what I thought was too much breakfast/snack.  We have him on a 1/25 ratio
> and he had about 40 carbs.  I had only given him just over 1 unit of Rapid
> and in 1.5 hours, he was at 1.1.  Very scary.  He is fine now.
> Susan

My son, now pumping, was on lantas.  Before that he was on NPH.  Lantus
gives more of a steady dose.  No late peak like the NPH.  It can be given
once in the morning or in the morning and before bed.  Do not put in the
same syringe with the Humolog like you can with the NPH & Humolog.  When my
son went from the NPH to the Lantus he didn't a couple units less of the
Lantus.  If it was me, I would start on 5 units of Lantus in the morning and
check his BG's and see. You can always go up with the insulin, but if you
start with too much his BG will go too low.  My son's BG were all over the
place too, until he started pumping.  Good Luck!