Re: [IPp] One year ago today........LONG SRRY

I see your point but brain swelling (which is why you'd want to
bring it down slowly) is only a concern in DKA (where
dehydration, among other things, is present.) It is the shift in
plasma osmolarity during rehydration etc that creates a problem,
though it is not understood why brain swelling doesn't happen
with everyone. If your child is not in DKA (and 70-80% of new dx
aren't according to the latest stats presented at Endo 2002) then
bringing it down slowly isn't necessary.

Take care, Kerri
Join me in the Parents of Pumpers chat, Saturdays @ 6:30pm
Pacific/9:30pm Eastern in the Parents chatroom, Insulin Pumpers
website www.insulin-pumpers.org
"I've seen and met angels wearing the disguise of ordinary people
leading ordinary lives, filled with love, compassion,
forgiveness, and sacrifice." - Tracy Chapman [Heaven's Here on
Earth, 1994]

Sarah said:
My son was 683 when diagnosed
and I am not sure if he had ketones or not....but even in the
300's and with
ketones...how is it acceptable to have your child sent home and
not go to a
hospital for proper training AND so that the sugar level can be
brought down
to a safe level slowly and not in just one insulin injection.