Re: [IPp] One year ago today........LONG SRRY

first diagnosed by the family pediatrician......
I am shocked..at how many families were actually sent home with insulin and
needles or were told to go to a local pharmacy to get the supplies they'd
need.  Why in the heck weren't you all sent to the hospital????
My son was also diagnosed at our pediatricians office, but we were sent
straight to the hospital and he was admitted within minutes and remained in
the hospital for 5 days...we were trained very very well and we did not leave
the hospital until the doctors felt we all knew what we were doing.
If it were me and my child was diagnosed and then sent home...I'd have
switched pediatricians right then and there.  My son was 683 when diagnosed
and I am not sure if he had ketones or not....but even in the 300's and with
ketones...how is it acceptable to have your child sent home and not go to a
hospital for proper training AND so that the sugar level can be brought down
to a safe level slowly and not in just one insulin injection.

Victoria (7) Non-D...Love My kids!