From: "email @ redacted" <email @ redacted>
To: email @ redacted
Sent: Sat, May 14, 2011 4:31:30 AM
Subject: [dfwfotod] Digest Number 232

DFW FOTOD
Messages In This Digest (12 Messages)
1a.
Dosing question and weirdness from CDE From: mwedding
1b.
Re: Dosing question and weirdness from CDE From: suzannehunter123
1c.
Re: Dosing question and weirdness from CDE From: Angel
1d.
Re: Dosing question and weirdness from CDE From: suzannehunter123
1e.
Re: Dosing question and weirdness from CDE From: Angel
1f.
Re: Dosing question and weirdness from CDE From: cmlady1972
1g.
Re: Dosing question and weirdness from CDE From: Melinda Wedding
1h.
Re: Dosing question and weirdness from CDE From: suzannehunter123
2a.
Pediatric Endos in the area? From: cmlady1972
2b.
Re: Pediatric Endos in the area? From: Lisa Coleman
2c.
Re: Pediatric Endos in the area? From: suzannehunter123
3.
New to Group From: email @ redacted View All Topics | Create New
Topic
Messages

1a.
Dosing question and weirdness from CDE
Posted by: "mwedding" email @ redacted   mwedding
Fri May 13, 2011 6:03 am (PDT)

Good morning!

Carson is still on MDI. We've been getting the hang of things, just three
months
in.

We've noticed she shoots high after breakfast and needs a correction at lunch.
sent her log to the CDE yesterday, and here's what she recommended:

"Carson does seem to be running high at lunch time, so I would recommend
increasing breakfast insulin by decreasing her ratio to 1 unit for 18 grams of
carbohydrates. "

That's fine, except I have no clue what it means. Our endo shared with us that
we can add insulin at 1 unit: 20 carbs when she wants to eat more than her
recommended carb allowance at a meal.

Presently, we give her 3 units in the morning and she eats around 35-40 carbs
at
7am. She gets a 15 carb snack around 9:30 and eats lunch at 11:30. We've seen
numbers over 250 (and even higher some days) at lunchtime.

Remember, we're new at this and not fully trained on ratios yet, so any advice
you give has to be pretty basic. :)

Messages in this topic (8)
1b.
Re: Dosing question and weirdness from CDE
Posted by: "suzannehunter123" email @ redacted   suzannehunter123
Fri May 13, 2011 7:08 am (PDT)

Here's an example of ratio's assuming that Carson has 40g carbs for
breakfast:

If ratio is 1/20 (1 unit for every 20g carbs), then:
40 divided by 20 = 2, so that would be 2 units.
If ratio is 1/18, then 40 divided by 18 = 2.2 units.
Now, since you are MDI you can't really dose for the .2, so assuming you would
round down to 2 units. Which means that 1/18 really doesn't work much better
for
you.

You could consider lowering the ratio to 1/15, then that would be 2.5 units,
which means that she is getting more insulin.

However, you say she has a snack around 9.30 - is this uncovered, or is she
dosed for it? If it's uncovered then you may want to consider lowering the
carbs
on that snack which will then lower her lunch-time number.

If you are dosing for the snack, then the elevated number at lunch time is
probably OK - remember that insulin duration is around 4 hours, so she will
still have active insulin on board, and you probably don't need to correct the
high as she could run the risk of going low later.

Another option to consider is pre-bolusing her breakfast insulin. Cereal's are
notorius for giving wacky numbers, but if you can pre-bolus by 10-15 minutes
before she eats (assuming she's not low to start with) then the insulin will
be
starting to work by the time she eats which will give you a jump-start on the
high numbers.

But, I have just re-read your post and you say that you give her 3 units for
the
35-40g carbs she has - this doesn't match up to the 1/20 ratio, it is more
like
a 1/13 ratio which may mean you may want to switch lower her ratio even more.

--- In email @ redacted s.com, "mwedding" <email @ redacted .> wrote:

> Good morning!
>
> Carson is still on MDI. We've been getting the hang of things, just three
>months in.
>
> We've noticed she shoots high after breakfast and needs a correction at
lunch.
>I sent her log to the CDE yesterday, and here's what she recommended:
>
> "Carson does seem to be running high at lunch time, so I would recommend
>increasing breakfast insulin by decreasing her ratio to 1 unit for 18 grams
of
>carbohydrates. "
>
> That's fine, except I have no clue what it means. Our endo shared with us
that
>we can add insulin at 1 unit: 20 carbs when she wants to eat more than her
>recommended carb allowance at a meal.
>
> Presently, we give her 3 units in the morning and she eats around 35-40
carbs
>at 7am. She gets a 15 carb snack around 9:30 and eats lunch at 11:30. We've
seen
>numbers over 250 (and even higher some days) at lunchtime.
>

> Remember, we're new at this and not fully trained on ratios yet, so any
advice
>you give has to be pretty basic. :)

Messages in this topic (8)
1c.
Re: Dosing question and weirdness from CDE
Posted by: "Angel" email @ redacted
Fri May 13, 2011 7:09 am (PDT)

Hello!! I hope this may help, a little!! :)
My son is also on injections. And basically ratios can be an number, no matter
how odd the number. And they ALWAYs change. It makes it very frustrating.

Like as of now my sons ratios are 1/22 for breakfast, 1/35 for lunch and 1/40
for dinner. However we are in the process of adjusting them once again. One of
the most important things about injections ( which is why the pump is so nice)
that the insulin should be in the child's system for approximately 4 hours.
Their BG should peek at about 2 hours after the shot. However that's not
always
true, that's when you get into the types of food that is consumed. But if you
give your child a shot at 730am, they will be high at 930. Because they have
insulin in their system. I try my hardest not to over lap shots. Try your
hardest to give an injection when your fast acting insulin is not in their
system. You said you gave your child a 15 c snack, I assume that's with
injection? If so you are I relaying insulin shots that's why they are high at
lunch. If you wait a full 4 hours, they should be down to a normal BG. You
can't
get an accurate BG if the shots are overlapped so it's harder or impossible to
get a right correction. I'm not the best at explaining things in emails, :(
I'm
sorry if this didn't make since. You are more then welcome to call me and ask
away!!

My son is 4 and was diagnosed at 2! Still on injections but in the process of
pump!! :)

My number is  940-435-8187  940-435-8187
Have a great day!! :)
Angel
Ryan DXd Jan 2010, age 4

Sent from my iPhone

On May 13, 2011, at 8:03 AM, "mwedding" <email @ redacted com> wrote:

> Good morning!
>
> Carson is still on MDI. We've been getting the hang of things, just three
>months in.
>
> We've noticed she shoots high after breakfast and needs a correction at
lunch.
>I sent her log to the CDE yesterday, and here's what she recommended:
>
> "Carson does seem to be running high at lunch time, so I would recommend
>increasing breakfast insulin by decreasing her ratio to 1 unit for 18 grams
of
>carbohydrates. "
>
> That's fine, except I have no clue what it means. Our endo shared with us
that
>we can add insulin at 1 unit: 20 carbs when she wants to eat more than her
>recommended carb allowance at a meal.
>
> Presently, we give her 3 units in the morning and she eats around 35-40
carbs
>at 7am. She gets a 15 carb snack around 9:30 and eats lunch at 11:30. We've
seen
>numbers over 250 (and even higher some days) at lunchtime.
>

> Remember, we're new at this and not fully trained on ratios yet, so any
advice
>you give has to be pretty basic. :)

Messages in this topic (8)
1d.
Re: Dosing question and weirdness from CDE
Posted by: "suzannehunter123" email @ redacted   suzannehunter123
Fri May 13, 2011 7:13 am (PDT)

I wanted to add that making these kind of ratio changes can be trial and
error.
It is best to make the change, monitor it for 2-3 days and see how it works
out
and then adjust again if needed. You will also probably want to test her more
frequently during the morning to make sure you catch any lows.

We've all been where you are, and I remember how totally confusing I found it
all in those first months, so don't worry. You'll soon get the hang of it and
be
changing ratio's in your sleep!!!

--- In email @ redacted s.com, "suzannehunter123" <email @ redacted > wrote:

> [...]
of
>carbohydrates. "
> >
> > That's fine, except I have no clue what it means. Our endo shared with us
>that we can add insulin at 1 unit: 20 carbs when she wants to eat more than
her
>recommended carb allowance at a meal.
> >
> > Presently, we give her 3 units in the morning and she eats around 35-40
carbs
>at 7am. She gets a 15 carb snack around 9:30 and eats lunch at 11:30. We've
seen
>numbers over 250 (and even higher some days) at lunchtime.
>

> > Remember, we're new at this and not fully trained on ratios yet, so any
>advice you give has to be pretty basic. :)

Messages in this topic (8)
1e.
Re: Dosing question and weirdness from CDE
Fri May 13, 2011 7:14 am (PDT)

Hi again!! Suzzane was MUCH better at explaining lol!! However one think I
thought of, is if you do want to stay with the 1:18 ratio, you can always add
few carbs to even it out. I did that when Ryan was first diagnosed. I had
little
things that were 1g each. If I wanted the number even on the ratios I did
that.
Now I attempt to do a .2 or so on. It's hard on a syringe though.

Sent from my iPhone

On May 13, 2011, at 9:08 AM, "suzannehunter123" <email @ redacted com> wrote:

> [...]
of
>carbohydrates. "
> >
> > That's fine, except I have no clue what it means. Our endo shared with us
>that we can add insulin at 1 unit: 20 carbs when she wants to eat more than
her
>recommended carb allowance at a meal.
> >
> > Presently, we give her 3 units in the morning and she eats around 35-40
carbs
>at 7am. She gets a 15 carb snack around 9:30 and eats lunch at 11:30. We've
seen
>numbers over 250 (and even higher some days) at lunchtime.
>

> > Remember, we're new at this and not fully trained on ratios yet, so any
>advice you give has to be pretty basic. :)

Messages in this topic (8)
1f.
Re: Dosing question and weirdness from CDE
Posted by: "cmlady1972" email @ redacted   cmlady1972
Fri May 13, 2011 8:03 am (PDT)

How incredibly confusing for you! I have never been where you're at personally
because we were given carb ratios from day one of diagnosis, but I still
understand your confusion.

Currently Carson is on a 1:13 ratio if you are giving insulin for the morning
snack, 1:18 ratio if you're not. The other message with the math explains that
so no sense explaining again. Therefore, the CDE's recommendation to lower to
1:18 is doing nothing for Carson, especially since you haven't been thoroughly
trained in carb ratios. My son's doctors have over the years made 1 unit carb
changes and told us to report his BG numbers in a couple of days, meaning
lowering to a 1:12 or 1:17 ratio from where you're at now. If that didn't
work,
they would lower it again. For example, using your numbers for breakfast 35/12
would be 3 units at breakfast. 15/12 would be one unit for morning snack. If
you
are not currently bolusing for the snack, that could be one of the reasons she
is running high at lunch.

If it were me, I would call the CDE back and make them get you in for training
on carb ratios. They are not helping you at all and that is what they are
there
for. They need to know the confusion they are causing.

Cheri
(Christopher, age 14, DX 2/16/07)

--- In email @ redacted s.com, "mwedding" <email @ redacted .> wrote:

> Good morning!
>
> Carson is still on MDI. We've been getting the hang of things, just three
>months in.
>
> We've noticed she shoots high after breakfast and needs a correction at
lunch.
>I sent her log to the CDE yesterday, and here's what she recommended:
>
> "Carson does seem to be running high at lunch time, so I would recommend
>increasing breakfast insulin by decreasing her ratio to 1 unit for 18 grams
of
>carbohydrates. "
>
> That's fine, except I have no clue what it means. Our endo shared with us
that
>we can add insulin at 1 unit: 20 carbs when she wants to eat more than her
>recommended carb allowance at a meal.
>
> Presently, we give her 3 units in the morning and she eats around 35-40
carbs
>at 7am. She gets a 15 carb snack around 9:30 and eats lunch at 11:30. We've
seen
>numbers over 250 (and even higher some days) at lunchtime.
>

> Remember, we're new at this and not fully trained on ratios yet, so any
advice
>you give has to be pretty basic. :)

Messages in this topic (8)
1g.
Re: Dosing question and weirdness from CDE
Posted by: "Melinda Wedding" email @ redacted   mwedding
Fri May 13, 2011 9:48 am (PDT)

Thanks for the input, all.

We are following the DMP they gave us at the hospital. It looks like this:

Breakfast: 35-40 carbs, 3 units
Snack: 15 carbs, no insulin
Lunch: 45-50 carbs, 2 units
Snack: 15 carbs, no insulin
Dinner: 45-50 carbs, no insulin
Bedtime: 15 carbs + lantus

This has evolved over time as I've sent in logs. They'd review and send
feedback. I know that we've been spoon-fed that info, but it sure seems abrupt
that she'd assume I'd be able to switch ratios on the fly if we've never been
taught at all!

Anyway, I gave her 4 units this morning and her lunch number was 105.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your help!

____________ _________ _________ __
How incredibly confusing for you! I have never been where you're at personally
because we were given carb ratios from day one of diagnosis, but I still
understand your confusion.

Currently Carson is on a 1:13 ratio if you are giving insulin for the morning
snack, 1:18 ratio if you're not. The other message with the math explains that
so no sense explaining again. Therefore, the CDE's recommendation to lower to
1:18 is doing nothing for Carson, especially since you haven't been thoroughly
trained in carb ratios. My son's doctors have over the years made 1 unit carb
changes and told us to report his BG numbers in a couple of days, meaning
lowering to a 1:12 or 1:17 ratio from where you're at now. If that didn't
work,
they would lower it again. For example, using your numbers for breakfast 35/12
would be 3 units at breakfast. 15/12 would be one unit for morning snack. If
you are not currently bolusing for the snack, that could be one of the reasons
she is running high at lunch.

If it were me, I would call the CDE back and make them get you in for training
on carb ratios. They are not helping you at all and that is what they are
there
for. They need to know the confusion they are causing.

Cheri
(Christopher, age 14, DX 2/16/07)

--- In email @ redacted s.com, "mwedding" <email @ redacted .> wrote:

> Good morning!
>
> Carson is still on MDI. We've been getting the hang of things, just three
>months in.
>
> We've noticed she shoots high after breakfast and needs a correction at
lunch.

>I sent her log to the CDE yesterday, and here's what she recommended:
>
> "Carson does seem to be running high at lunch time, so I would recommend
>increasing breakfast insulin by decreasing her ratio to 1 unit for 18 grams
of
>carbohydrates. "
>
> That's fine, except I have no clue what it means. Our endo shared with us
that

>we can add insulin at 1 unit: 20 carbs when she wants to eat more than her
>recommended carb allowance at a meal.
>
> Presently, we give her 3 units in the morning and she eats around 35-40
carbs
>at 7am. She gets a 15 carb snack around 9:30 and eats lunch at 11:30. We've
seen

>numbers over 250 (and even higher some days) at lunchtime.
>

> Remember, we're new at this and not fully trained on ratios yet, so any
advice

>you give has to be pretty basic. :)

Messages in this topic (8)
1h.
Re: Dosing question and weirdness from CDE
Posted by: "suzannehunter123" email @ redacted   suzannehunter123
Fri May 13, 2011 11:58 am (PDT)

Yay! What an awesome number!

I'm assuming you go to Children's not Cooks? We were told to use ratio's from
day one so don't know any other way. Maybe this particular nurse assumed you
knew about them already? Looks like your well on your way to not even needing
their training!

Personally, I would say given her routine below you have two choices - up her
ratio's, or decrease her uncovered snacks. Ideally long-term (especially if
you
are thinking ultimately of a pump) you will get to the point where there are
pretty much no free/uncovered foods. She would then have a slightly higher
meal
ratio, and insulin to cover the snack. But for now, if she's happy to keep
having the snacks then there's no harm - just be extra careful if she doesn't
have it one day, as you'll see her numbers drop considerably by lunch time
(her
15g snack is basically 1 unit).

--- In email @ redacted s.com, Melinda Wedding <email @ redacted .> wrote:

> Thanks for the input, all.
>
> We are following the DMP they gave us at the hospital. It looks like this:
>
> Breakfast: 35-40 carbs, 3 units
> Snack: 15 carbs, no insulin
> Lunch: 45-50 carbs, 2 units
> Snack: 15 carbs, no insulin
> Dinner: 45-50 carbs, no insulin
> Bedtime: 15 carbs + lantus
>
> This has evolved over time as I've sent in logs. They'd review and send
> feedback. I know that we've been spoon-fed that info, but it sure seems
abrupt

> that she'd assume I'd be able to switch ratios on the fly if we've never
been
> taught at all!
>

> Anyway, I gave her 4 units this morning and her lunch number was 105.
>
> Thank you, thank you, thank you for your help!
>

> ____________ _________ _________ __

Fri May 13, 2011 8:33 am (PDT)

Good morning!

I joined the group a couple of months ago and have been reading all of the
posts, but not contributing until today.

My son, Christopher was diagnosed at age 9 on 2/16/07 while we were living in
northwest Oklahoma. Luckily, they refer all newly diagnosed patients to OU
Children's Physicians in OKC. Even though it was a 2 1/2 hour drive every 3
months, I have been very pleased with the care we have received there. Since
moving to Denton almost a year ago, we have continued to make the trek to OKC
because it is the same 2 1/2 hour drive we were used to. Our local doctor told
us that if we wanted to switch to an endo in the DFW area, he would refer us
Cook's. So here are my questions... .

Which clinic do you use? Are you happy with the care you receive there? Are
they
available between visits to make necessary changes to bolus rates?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheri
(Christopher, age 14, dx 2/16/07)

Messages in this topic (3)
2b.
Re: Pediatric Endos in the area?
Posted by: "Lisa Coleman" email @ redacted   lcole721
Fri May 13, 2011 9:02 am (PDT)

Hi Cheri,

Welcome to the group! We live in Corinth and there is a clinic for Cooks in
Denton. My daughter (Rebekah)  was diagnosed at age 4 and is now 11. We have
been with them from diagnosis and they have been great to us! There are
several
Dr.s there, we see Dr. Wilcutt's but he is not accepting any new patients but
the other dr.s are. They are there to help out with changes if you need help
but

I know they really encourage us to learn how to make changes on our own.
Please
let me know if you have any more questions I will be glad to help!

Lisa (Rebekah dx 11/04)

____________ _________ _________ __
[...]

Fri May 13, 2011 11:50 am (PDT)

Hi Cheri, and welcome!
We live just outside Denton off 380 near Aubrey. We go to Cooks and overall
love
it. They have a clinic here in Denton at Presby, which would save the drive to
Ft Worth. although we still usually go to Ft Worth purely because we love one
of
the nurses there - and since we see the nurses/CDEs more frequently than the
doctor, and usually get better information from them that is what is important
to me.

They have always been very good at help between appointments. Any urgent
issues
are dealt with promptly by the on-call endocrine nurse and they are also very
good with non-urgent questions. We've found that we can fax or email our
logs/print-outs over to them and I would say 99% of the time we'll get a
response that same day.

Is it possible with your insurance to ask for a trial visit to Cooks before
actually making the switch? That way you could go and visit and meet and see
what you think.

--- In email @ redacted s.com, "cmlady1972" <cjwarren39@ ...> wrote:

> Good morning!
>
> I joined the group a couple of months ago and have been reading all of the
>posts, but not contributing until today.
>
> My son, Christopher was diagnosed at age 9 on 2/16/07 while we were living
in
>northwest Oklahoma. Luckily, they refer all newly diagnosed patients to OU
>Children's Physicians in OKC. Even though it was a 2 1/2 hour drive every 3
>months, I have been very pleased with the care we have received there. Since
>moving to Denton almost a year ago, we have continued to make the trek to OKC
>because it is the same 2 1/2 hour drive we were used to. Our local doctor
told
>us that if we wanted to switch to an endo in the DFW area, he would refer us
>Cook's. So here are my questions... .
>
> Which clinic do you use? Are you happy with the care you receive there? Are
>they available between visits to make necessary changes to bolus rates?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Cheri
> (Christopher, age 14, dx 2/16/07)

Messages in this topic (3)
3.
New to Group
Posted by: "email @ redacted" email @ redacted
email @ redacted

Fri May 13, 2011 4:21 pm (PDT)

Hi!

I'm new to the group, but not new to being the parent of a diabetic. My son
Hayden (just turned 5) was diagnosed Feb. of 2009.

Thank you for providing a forum for us to ask questions & respond to others.

Jennifer

Messages in this topic (1)
Recent Activity
	*  4
New MembersVisit Your Group
Yahoo! Health
Asthma Triggers
How you can
identify them.
Check out the
Y! Groups blog
Stay up to speed
on all things Groups!
Meditation and
Lovingkindness
A Yahoo! Group
to share and learn.
Need to Reply?
Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily
Digest.
FOTOD, or Families of Type One Diabetics, is a support and education group for
families that are living with type one diabetes daily. This group is based in
Dallas/Fort Worth area. Our goal is to educate families on healthy living and
offer support to newly diagnosed families in the area. We are not responsible
for any medical advice since we are not medical doctors.

MARKETPLACE
Find useful articles and helpful tips on living with Fibromyalgia. Visit the
Fibromyalgia Zone today!

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get
the
Yahoo! Toolbar now.

Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Individual | Switch format to
Traditional