[IPp] IOB

IOB

Will work differentlly in everyone. The way to test it, once basals are
right, is to give an adjustment and test hourly for the next 4 hours.

You can then work out the percentage of the total drop for each hour.

No insulin kicks in after 5 mins. Novo kicks in a bitter quicker than
Humalog (in our expereince) but took longer to leave the system.. sometimes
up to 5 hours, peaking at about 90mins from bolus. Humalog takes a little
longer to kick in, but has a higher peak and tends to compeltely leave after
4 hours max.

We use the following to calculate IOB based on how Humalog works for Sarah
using her tummy, there's a small delay if sites are in her butt.

30 mins:  90%  IOB
60 mins   70%
90 mins   50%
120mins  30%
180mins 10%
240mins 0%

I prepared a little chart for Sarah to use at school and always noted the
IOB at mid morning break and gave this to her, based on her breakfast bolus
each day.

We are using an Animas 2020 now with an excellent and accurate IOB
calculator. When on the Cozmo and previously the MM we "fixed" it by setting
the  duration at 3 to 3.5hrs, even though actual duration was longer. This
way you get a more accurate calculation in the first 3 hours and you just
have to remember there's still about 10% IOB for the 4th hour though the
pump will read zero. This will be insignificant for small adjustments.

Also remember though the insulin kicks in after about 30 mins, you will not
see any impact on BGs for about 1 to 1.5 hours, hence why you test thrn
after a bolus. We go by the rule, meal boluses and small  adjustment boluses
(under 1 unit)- test after 90 mins. Large adjustment bolus, test after an
hour.

Hope this helps.

Karen Persov
Mum to Sarah, diabetic 10y years, pumping 4+ years