Re: [IPp] Omnipod Questions

  feel like I should give you my number to talk....but short of that...

Your son would need the PDM/Controller with him whenever he wants to
check his sugar or bolus or change basal settings.  However, he does
not have to carry it with him all the time - for example - my son's
controller stays in his backpack when he is at school.  he gets it
before snack and lunch to check sugar and bolus.  he could absolutely
carry it in a pocket - no problem.  It's about the size of a larger
glucose meter - not small like a freestyle.  if he lost it or it
broke, you would have to wait a day for a replacement.  you don't get
a backup but could purchase one for about $300 I believe.  We just had
our first problem with the PDM after over a year of use.  The meter
was not working properly.  We had another in less than 24 hrs.  Didn't
matter much to us bc it was only the meter and his insulin delivery
was not disturbed.  Otherwise, he would have had to have starved (only
kidding) or used shots for that time.  The pod would have continued to
deliver his basal though - so maybe I would have only had to do shots
for meals - it depends on when the pod expires (they expire every 3
days with an 8 hr grace period so I think that works out to 80 hours).

The insertion is a piece of cake.  You press the button and wait.
I've never used any other pump, but it sounds like this is a little
easier than others from what I've heard others say - I could be wrong.

The needle definitely comes out and is replace by the tube - it's
super duper quick.  Easy peasy.  Caleb barely flinches most of the
time.  Every once in a while we get an odd spot, but even those he
only gives a slightly audible "ow" and he's 5.

I believe there are videos of a man showing how the Omnipod works -
there might be an insertion one - on YouTube.

Ask away if you have more questions

Lorraine Sisto
email @ redacted

On May 23, 2008, at 7:30 PM, email @ redacted wrote:

> Please visit:
>
>   http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml

> Hi everyone!  I am having a little dilemma.  Animas informed me
> yesterday
> that on May 27, 2008 our warranty will expire.  I KNOW for a FACT
> that my son
> did not start using this Animas pump until the end of July 2004
> because I had
> just given to my daughter.  Anyway, long story short  I am deciding
> between
> Animas again and Omnipod. I am definitely leaning more towards the
> Omnipod but
> my son who will be using it has  some questions.  Now forgive me in
> advance
> because I am just learning  about the Omnipod but would my son
> always have to
> carry the meter that he would be using to do his finger and to bolus
> with him?
> I mean what if he forgot  it somewhere?  Do they give you a back
> up?  Is it
> small enough to put  in his pocket?  What about the needle does it
> stay in him
> or does it  somehow come out and a plastic canula replaces it?  I
> have a
> sample one and it doesn't look like it comes out. Finally, the
> insertion, I
> have
> always  used an insertion device, does the Omnipod do a fast
> insertion?  I
> would  appreciate any and all help because I need to decide ASAP.
>
> Thanks!
>

> Lori, Mom to Tylar, age 13 (diagnosed at 2, pumping at 5) and Lexxi
> (age  3)
>

> **************Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking
> with
> Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.