[IPp] Re : I don't understand IOB

Hi Morgan,

I was looking back through the mail archives (having only just joined the
POP group) and noticed your message.  You've probably got your answers
already by now, but ................ our understanding of it is that when
you give the insulin bolus, it remains active in the body for a few hours
(exactly how many hours varies between individuals, but our son was given
a starting figure of 4 hours, using Novorapid).  Novorapid (and I think
Humalog also) are thought to peak after 2 hours, so this is when we do a
post-meal blood glucose reading, after which the insulin activity
gradually tails off.  The problem with the pump feature when trying to
correct for a high BG is that (with my son's pump anyway) it assumes the
bolus amount will be used EVENLY over the 4 hours, so that if we wanted
to correct after 3 hours it would say there is a quarter of the last
bolus still active - in fact most of Owain's insulin takes effect in the
first 2 hours, and very little would be left by the fourth, so we tend to
override what the pump says and correct anyway!  This usually works for
him, but of course that's not to say it's right for everyone!

Jackie (Mum to Owain, 7), UK