[IPp] Re: pop-digest V2 #708

Mary,

Pick your battles.  Get the note and move on to the next school.  If
you want to put energy into something, get PA to enact a law like
North Carolina's (the amendment is below).

David Jensen
Dad to 6 yo Sigrid (dx'd 11 mos; pumping Cozmo since 17 mos.) and 3 yo
Vibeka.

AN ACT TO REQUIRE THE STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION TO adopt and
DISSEMINATE GUIDELINES for the development and implementation of
individual diabetes care plans and to require local boards of
education to implement these guidelines.

The General Assembly of North Carolina enacts:

SECTION 1. G.S. 115Cb47 is amended by adding a new subdivision to
read:

"(31)   To Adopt Guidelines for Individual Diabetes Care Plans. b The
State Board shall adopt guidelines for the development and
implementation of individual diabetes care plans. The State Board
shall consult with the North Carolina Diabetes Advisory Council
established by the Department of Health and Human Services in the
development of these guidelines. The State Board also shall consult
with local school administrative unit employees who have been
designated as responsible for coordinating their individual unit's
efforts to comply with federal regulations adopted under Section 504
of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, 29 U.S.C. B' 794. In its
development of these guidelines, the State Board shall refer to the
guidelines recommended by the American Diabetes Association for the
management of children with diabetes in the school and day care
setting and shall consider recent resolutions by the United States
Department of Education's Office of Civil Rights of investigations
into complaints alleging discrimination against students with diabetes.

The guidelines adopted by the State Board shall include:

a.         Procedures for the development of an individual diabetes
care plan at the written request of the student's parent or guardian,
and involving the parent or guardian, the student's health care
provider, the student's classroom teacher, the student if appropriate,
the school nurse if available, and other appropriate school personnel.

b.         Procedures for regular review of an individual care plan.

c.         Information to be included in a diabetes care plan,
including the responsibilities and appropriate staff development for
teachers and other school personnel, an emergency care plan, the
identification of allowable actions to be taken, the extent to which
the student is able to participate in the student's diabetes care and
management, and other information necessary for teachers and other
school personnel in order to offer appropriate assistance and support
to the student. The State Board shall ensure that the information and
allowable actions included in a diabetes care plan as required in this
subdivision meet or exceed the American Diabetes Association's
recommendations for the management of children with diabetes in the
school and day care setting.

d.         Information and staff development to be made available to
teachers and other school personnel in order to appropriately support
and assist students with diabetes.

The State Board shall ensure that these guidelines are updated as
necessary and shall ensure that the guidelines and any subsequent
changes are published and disseminated to local school administrative
units."

SECTION 2.  G.S. 115Cb47 is amended by adding a new subdivision to
read:

"(42)   To Implement Guidelines to Support and Assist Students With
Diabetes. b Local boards of education shall ensure that the
guidelines adopted by the State Board of Education under G.S.
115C-12(31) are implemented in schools in which students with diabetes
are enrolled. In particular, the boards shall require the
implementation of the procedures set forth in those guidelines for the
development and implementation of individual diabetes care plans.
Local boards also shall make available necessary information and staff
development to teachers and school personnel in order to appropriately
support and assist students with diabetes in accordance with their
individual diabetes care plans."

SECTION 3. The State Board of Education shall report no later than
September 1, 2003, to the Joint Legislative Education Oversight
Committee on the Board's progress regarding the adoption,
dissemination, and implementation of the guidelines under Sections 1
and 2 of this act.

SECTION 4.  This act is effective when it becomes law.  The guidelines
under Section 1 of this act shall be adopted no later than January 15,
2003, and shall be implemented under Section 2 of this act beginning
with the 2003b2004 school year.

In the General Assembly read three times and ratified this the 29th
day of August, 2002.