Re: [IPp] school/lunch

Brandi, I assume your son will be in this school for a number of years.  My
daughter was pre-k when diagnosed, not only was she the youngest in their
school with type 1, she was the youngest in the district on a pump.  That
meant I spent a great deal of time educating them on this disease.  No two
diabetic children are the same.  Your carb counts seem fine to me, we have
recently started bolusing Megan before she eats, she is a realiable eater
and was experiencing post meal highs, then dropping down quite quickly, she
was feeling it and we have noticed a difference since we changed. (her
ped/endo was on board with this change)  I also had her ped/endo in with the
school on two occassions, once when moving her from MDI to the pump, then
again this year when I felt they were expecting far to much from her and I
suspect they felt I was expecting too little, so the doctor was able to come
in and given an unbiased opinion as to what was reasonable, he had more
clout then the "over protective mother".  That being said I take every
opportunity I have to educate them about the swings in blood sugars. The
school has also stepped up to the task and done in-service training at the
other schools, they have also arranged a session or two with DE for those
schools that care for children with Type 1.  We live in a relativvely small
city, without a ton of discretionary income yet the school has been able to
accomplish these sessions over the course of the 4 years she has been in
their school.  I have had a few incidents that you describe as well, it is
incredibly hurtful because you are his mother doing all that you can to keep
him healthy while we search for a cure.  Sounds like they are at least
touching base with you regarding their concerns, perhaps off base but
hopefully well intended.  I would suggest a follow up with them, offering
that they should consider a session or two with a DE or even your pump
representative. Many times they will do these sessions for free or a nominal
fee and it can be well worth it for your son and any future children coming
into your school with this disease.

For what it is worth I used to do the sugar free jelly but we use so little
and the low carb p-nut butter had much higher fat (which effects how the
insulin is absorbed and can aggrevate the post meal highs) that we just use
the regular p-nut butter now, might be worth a try if you are also
struggling with post meal highs.  It is important to remind yourself that
even when you do all the right things regarding meals and boluses you can
still see unpredictible swings in the numbers, they are afterall children
and the blood sugar swings are an unfortunate side effect of this dieases.
Good luck, Suzanne