[IPp] Support Group Event

Well, now that I'm somewhat caught up on all the housework, dishes and
laundry that piled up these last few weeks, I can take time to report on how
our diabetes support event went.

We're building the group almost from scratch, and it was a challenge to get
the word out with the HIPAA medical privacy regulations. I felt it all came
out pretty good. I've attached our flier.

We had over 100 family members attend (not bad for rural Nebraska!) People
from two states attended from as far away as 150 miles. We had activities
for the kids, an education speaker for the parents, and vendors there. I was
really excited that we had both of the CGMS's currently on the market there
for people to see (The Animas rep had her personal Dexcom, and the MIniMed
rep had the Guardian)

What a huge undertaking it was. It'll be a year before I'm up to doing it
all again! :) We are planning to have events quarterly, but the next one
will be in another part of our area, and hopefully those families can take
over much of the planning. The other events will be more casual, without the
reps. We just wanted to start off with a real big bang to give people
incentive to come and get involved.

We had a "name the group" contest, and the winning entry was KIDZ (Kids In
the Diabetes Zone) pretty creative!

Here is the link to the news report with both Mollie and me.

  http://khastv.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=4581

I felt the reporter did a pretty good job. After some of the poor reporting
we've seen/heard about I was really careful, gave her a fact sheet, etc. But
still, you never know until you see it!

Thanks to Kelli Doyle from this list for letting me use her words to close
the event.

Melissa
Married to Tom 19 years
Mom to Jono (12 yrs), Jacob (7 yrs)
and Mollie (just turned 3 yrs, dx 9-16-05, pumping Animas 12-12-05)
Hastings, Nebraska

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He
didn't trust me so much."
---Mother Teresa

 [demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pdf which had a name of
champflierlow.pdf]