RE: [IPp] The new Paradigm Pump w/ continuous glucose monitoring

My 11 year old son is currently on the Guardian RT which is the second
round of Continuous Glucose Monitors for Medtronic. The Sensors are the
same as the ones they use for the  522.  The Transmitter that sticks on
your body(with tape) and communicates with a monitor is basically the
same as the transmitter for the 522.  (You won't be tethered to 2
things.  You will be tethered to the pump, but the sensor/transmitter is
not connected to the pump.)

The big difference from what we are doing now, pumping with a 515 and
sensing with the Guardian RT, is that Tommy will only have one piece of
equipment (the 522 pump) to carry with him.  There are also some great
software improvements that were made in a short period of time, like
directional arrows, and Carelink graphs that show insulin, carbs, finger
sticks, and sensor information on all on one chart.

The sensors were very intimidating for the first three tries.  (I wore
one three times also.)  Now they are uneventful, equal to that as the
pump change.   Tommy uses numbing cream for his pump inserts and his
sensor inserts.  He does not think that they are painful.  They did not
bother me at all either.

Right now, the company that my husband works for is self-insured.  I
have had lots of long conversations with them about the approval, and I
believe that I will see some reimbursement in the near future.  The two
adults in our area that went on the Guardian RT were reimbursed 80/20.
We have had a very helpful Medtronic Rep. that has been sending our
human resources information.  I have already got a denial from the
insurance company because of the FDA approval thing, but the human
resources people say that they have the final say.  I am optimistic that
there will be insurance for kids in a few years.

Tommy wears his pump always and his sensor sometimes.  I believe that
this is how it will be on the new pump.  It is nice to be able to put on
every once in awhile to catch trends.  (I don't mind the uninterrupted
sleep either.)  The reports that we download are very enlightening.  I
never realized how high his breakfast spike was going until I saw for
myself on the graph of continuous monitor.

A few weeks ago I compiled a chart from all sorts of different sources
on the features of the main three continuous glucose monitors.  I will
change the Guardian RT to the 522 in June.  I tried to e-mail it to this
list, but I found out that I need to e-mail you separately.  If anyone
would like to me to e-mail them a chart that compares the Navigator, the
Guardian RT, and the DexCom just let me know.

I am so excited about this new technology.  And now it is combined with
a pump!  Many people that I have spoke with believe that the Navigator
will soon combine with a pump and also the DexCom, Cozmo and Animas
respectively.  It is the next step.  Changes are happening so fast, I am
just happy that we jumped in.  I don't think you can go wrong with any
of them.  It is a missing piece to this crazy puzzle.

Jenny
Tommy, 11, dxd 4/05, Pumping MM 515 10/05, Guardian RT 2/06
Andy, 13,
Happily Married to Dan
Wisconsin