[IPp] Oprah: Type 1 Diabetes

 Hi All. I just got an e-mail from one of www.childrenwithdiabetes.com 's youth
ambassador's about Oprah. If you click here:
http://www.oprah.com/tows/intheworks/tows_works_main.jhtml you will see under
the column titled Upcoming Shows, it has a link that says "Do you have type 2
diabetes?". I am happy she is talking about diabetes, but I think she needs to
speak about BOTH types. I wrote her a little blurb about Cole (you can read it
below). Just thought we could all write about our kids or ourselves (if we have
D) & give her some insight on what our kids go through every day.
 I do not have type 2 diabetes. However, my little boy Cole has type 1 diabetes.
Although I am happy that you are doing some shows on type 2, I think the other
type of diabetes, type 1 diabetes, also needs to be talked about. Cole just
turned 5 on 5-18-03 & he is such a joy to me! He was diagnosed with type 1
diabetes on 4-12-00 at only 23 months old. He almost died from me being
uneducated about this disease & I take every moment of my time to educate
everyone who is willing to listen about this horrible disease. Cole gets his
blood glucose (sugar) levels checked 8-10 times a day (finger pricks) to ensure
we keep him in the tightest control possible. He used to have to take 4-6
insulin shots a day, but now I have him on the insulin pump. It has been a
lifesaver to us & I couldn't be happier with it! You can see his pump here:
www.picturetrail.com/jracheln or www.animascorp.com.
 Thank you for taking the time to educate about both sides of this disease
called diabetes.
Rachel Neufeld

 Rachel - My Pics: www.picturetrail.com/jrachelnPlease, Help Find A Cure For My
Son: www.jdrf.org or www.cwdfoundation.org