re: [IPp] New to Pumping

snip:<<<"Melvin & Debbie Crawford" <email @ redacted>
...My biggest concern now is I am still seeing some high readings, high 200's
and low 300's that I wonder where they came from.  I still am questioning
our infusion set.  We are two days into this set and today he had two
sustained highs in about 4 hours time.  ....Are there still roller coasters
even after basals and insulin to carb ratios and been set and re-adjusted? >>>>

Congrats on your pump start with your son.  Sounds like you're doing well.  Our
experience is that yes, unfortunately, the pump cannot overcome the diabetes,
so you still get roller coasters.  Plus with a kid, they're always
growing/stressing/etc. so their insulin needs change over time.  My best
recommendation is to get the book "Pumping Insulin" by John Walsh, and
especially read the chapters on how to deal with calculating the bolus when you
know there's still active insulin.  That will prevent the hi/lo roller coaster
from insulin issues.  From food/stress....as I remind my hubby, our kid still
has diabetes, and it shows in his blood sugar from time to time.

If you keep getting only 2 good days out of a set, consider your insulin.  We
saw this until Luke switched from Humalog to Novolog; have heard of others on
the list with similar experiences although it's rare (5%'ish).

On the infusion set, we used QuickSets for nearly a year.  My son LOVES them,
but they just don't work for him anymore, especially in his belly.  He was
using 6mm - he's lean everywhere.  We finally overcame the fear of the
Silhouettes, and using the inserter, were able to use them everywhere we
wanted.  We've used them for well over a year now, and have been EXTREMELY
satisfied with the Silhouettes.  My son was convinced after having a QuickSet
day w/ 4 set changes due to bent cannulas in his muscular areas - and then an
immediate setup that worked with a Sil.  He has not been tempted to try
QuickSets again and has been terrific about staying with the Sils.   He'll do
whatever it takes to keep pumping - he likes this lifestyle much better than
with shots.

Email me privately if I can provide more specifics for you.  Welcome to the
Shelly V, mom to Luke, 8, dx'd 10/99, pumping 3/01 - MM508+Sils+Novolog

Do you Yahoo!?