[IPp] Re: Recommendations for a pump --2 pumps from Disetronic

In a message dated 5/11/03 9:19:25 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> but for a
> company to say from the get go that they give two pumps for the reason of
> future problems, it makes me question that company and their product.
> Just my opinion.>>

Sarah, when has Disetronic ever said that this is the reason they give you
two pumps????

Disetronic is a Swiss company, known for its meticulous precision engineering
that Switzerland is known for, and has the lion's share of the European pump
market.  From what I understood, it is common in Europe to have a back-up
when your life is dependent on a piece of medical equipment, although it has
been debated here whether two pumps were actually required by law or not at
an earlier point in time.  This is probably the reason why Minimed has only a
tiny market share in all of Europe.
     Personally, I cannot even imagine not having a back-up pump.  Shoot, I
was extremely nervous not having a back-up Quick Set insertion device!!  Now
that Minimed dropped the price from the $105 they charged me for the first
one, I do have a back-up Quick-serter.  I have doubles of everything we use.
If your child doesn't mind going back to needles when you have a 3 day wait
to get a refurbished pump when your pump has broken down, you don't have to
worry about buying a 2 pump system.  But my child goes crazy at the thought
of an injection--don't know why she is so bad, after all, she had over 5,000
before she began pumping.   Based on the number of pump breakdowns of its two
competitors (at the time of our purchase), that is why I chose Diestronic for
my child.

Barbara, Mum of Claire 9