[IPp] suggestions for toddler pump start

Jake's pump finally arrived and we (his parents, that is) are very
excited about it! My husband and I plan to start using the pump this
week (with saline), and Jake will get started next week. Jake is 2
1/2. While we are waiting to start, we have been talking about the
pump with Jake, and letting him push buttons and hold the pump. At
this point he is mildly curious about the pump, but when I suggest he
try it on (we have two different pouches for him), he refuses, and is
not at all interested in wearing it. He is pretty clear that he
doesn't want to use the pump, even when I tell him that it means no
more shots.

Do any of you have suggestions for me? I am a bit worried that, among
all of the other pump start worries,  he is going to complain (have
tantrums) about wearing the thing in the first place!

Thanks for any ideas!

Lisa Clement
Assistant Professor
Mathematics Education
San Diego State University
School of Teacher Education
5500 Campanile Drive
San Diego, CA 92182-1153
(619) 594-5130
also at:
Center for Research in Mathematics and Science Education
(619) 594-0774