[IPp] Re: NPH vs. Lantus at the beach

>I was considering on
>those days to go back to NPH for the day along with Humalog for meals.
>What do you guys think about that?  By the time we get in to the house
>after a day at the beach, the NPH would have worn off and we could
>reconnect to the pump.Fayeron

Hi Fayeron,

Have you considered using Lantus instead of NPH?  Lantus is a flat
action type of insulin, no peaks.  Noah has used it a couple of times
when he was off the pump for a day or two.  Keep in mind that no
matter which you use, NPH or Lantus, onset time can vary from 1 to 3
hours.  We forgot that the first time...forgot to inject Novolog to
cover the time he had no insulin working when disconnecting from the
pump until the Lantus kicked in.  There are many websites that
explain the action, peak, and duration times of both insulins so you
can compare.  Here's just one:

Cindy, mom to 16 y/o Noah, dx age 9, pumping since 6/99