[IPp] Re: stubborn high counts, how often to change

In a message dated 4/30/2003 7:10:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> In fact, the labeling says in bold type
> "THROW NOVOLOG AWAY IF IT HAS BEEN IN TEMPERATURES GREATER THAN 98.6
> DEGREES F (37 DEGREES C)."
>
> So that's why we change the insulin every two days.>>

Curiously, the labelling of Novolog/Novorapid does not say this in Canada.
Instead, in regular type it says to store betwen 2 and 10 degrees C.  and
that it never should be exposed to heat or direct sunlight and should never
be frozen.  Our summertime temperatures can hover around 37 degrees C. for
weeks and weeks.

My daughter wears her pump (with Novorapid) right next to her body, inside
her undies.  At night I insist that she wear it pinned in a sock so it isn't
next to her 24 hours a day.  We only change the cartridge about every 8 days,
we have a Disetronic H-tron and only need to change when it is empty.  She
has been doing this with Novorapid for over a year.  I have never noticed
that the temperature has affected it, although when we are getting crazy
numbers, changing the site, then changing the insulin is always my routine.
Changing the insulin has never corrected any problems (unfortunately!)

I was happy to find out from the sales rep that Novorapid can take higher
temperatures than Humalog.  The amount of bg fluctuation for no apparent
cause is much lower for us with Novorapid than it was on Humalog.  Claire has
now pumped one year with Humalog and one year with Novorapid.  But she can
still go from 100 to 300 from one blood test to the next, without any
apparent reason.  I am getting much better at not worrying about this.

Barbara, Mum of Claire 9