Re: [IPp] Calling any boy scouts who pump?

Hi Carol

I simply follow this rule.

I keep track of what his basals are for every hour that are working well.

When we know she will be rushing and going straight out, we cut back her
basals by 0.2. She use gets an average 0.9 from 12 am to 7 am, 0.5  from 8am
to 12 noon, 0.4 from 1 to 8 pm, then 0.7 to 12 midnight.

When she went to CAMP, we saw her needs go down alot. We tried a few things
and found that cutting back at 0.2 units at one time and watching it for a
day helped.We also did not bolus for a fruit snack if she had that . We
watched and saw within 2 days a need to cut back on the basals for the
afternoon time again by 0.2 for the whole afternoon time frame.She had some
lows but not too many once we found she could get by without  bolusing for
the apples,oranges, bananas in mid afternoon snacks.

This is what worked for her and it worked for that week.But it could all
change in a moment with how she absorbs some foods and not others with her
celiac disease.I would suggest you get your hands on the Book...Pumping
Insulin 3rd Edition as it will help show you alot in how to estimate and
assess for amounts like these.Each individual has their own need and own
method to succeed and so you should read that book and see what happens
maybe in advance by trying and testing to see how a fruit might affect him
without or with. I am not a medical doctor and will not claim to have any or
all the answers. I only share about what we did to show you it is trial and
error and each time could be different from the last.All the best
Jana