RE: [IPp] We're starting Novalog!!

Ugh Amy! I don't blame you a bit for seeking a new endo practice!
Regarding the Novalog, Andrew has been using it in his pump for  16 days
now. So far we are VERY pleased. Previously, on the Humalog, we were
getting only 2 days (or less) out of each site before his numbers would
start to creep upward, and require large correction boluses, which often
did not seem to help much. Now we have easily gotten 3 days out of each
site (except for twice when I forgot and we went 4 days!) His insulin
needs have dropped on the Novalog; although his basals have stayed the
same, the carb/insulin ratios and correction boluses are being adjusted
downward.  We're still in the 'adjustment' period, but his meter average
has already dropped from 230 down to 187! (yes, that's how bad it was!)
And I suppose that 'adjustment' period never truly ends as his insulin
needs can fluctuate from day to day or week to week.....it's taken me
over a year to realize that sometimes th! e numbers just are NOT GOING TO
MAKE ANY SENSE!...... but the pump has made things SOOOO much better now
than they were before! A much more 'normal' life for this entire family.

Oh, I totally agree!!:O)   I would much rather chase numbers with the pump
than on MDI's!  I'm happy to hear about the meter avg dropping, that is
about what Riley's meter reads currently too.  I *know* I'm doing a good job
and it really stinks to get no recognition or even encouragement from the
endo's office you know?  I'm only 1 person, I still have 4 other children to
care for and homeschooling two of them.  There is only so much I can humanly
do and I try the best I can.  What is worse is this is coming from the Nurse
Practioner on top of it-we rarely get to see the endo.  I just wish that the
health care industry could address this as a FAMILY issue and stop looking
at this as just a disease!

PS: Do be sure to do frequent bg checks when starting the Novalog in case
his insulin needs are less with it.....I started Andrew's in the evening,
so I was up a lot checking that night....you may want to start it in the
morning! God bless!!

Great advice!!!:O)  We got it filled tonight, insurance is charging us a
higher co-pay for Novolog than for H.  I'm going to start this in the
morning, it'll be good timing as well because his cartridge will be near
empty and his site will need to be changed.  I'm anxious to see what, if
any, effects this will have on sensitivity, carb ratio and basal needs.  One
question, since Novolog lasts 3-5 hours when should I check to see if a
correction bolus was enough?  With H, I knew if he wasn't in range 1 1/2 hrs
after the dose he needed another correction.  I guess I'll just check him
every hour for 4 hours after a correction and mark the changes it makes in
his bg.  Btw, I did go out and restock my glucose tabs just in case!!:O)
Thanks for the support and the advice!

Take care,
Amy-mom to Tyler-9, Riley-6(dx'd 7-1-99&pumping 2 years), Mason-4, Cailin
Rose-3, & Lane-5 mos