Re: [IPp] Animas question

In a message dated 5/12/2002 9:13:17 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

>  He wants patients to pump with saline for a
>  week, but I asked the pump trainer if we could just go a couple days then
>  start on Humolog.  We've waited too long for the pump already!

We pumped saline for a week . . . we really didn't need more than a day or
two to master the pump operations, BUT we did use that time to solve a set
adhesion problem (Thank God for Mastisol -- and for Josh's Mom Sylvia on the
IP list for sharing their experience with it!) .  .  . so having that
resolved before we started pumping insulin made it worth waiting a while week
to starting pumping insulin (hard as it was to be patient).

>  Did you start with 1 basal rate or two?  My son goes high every night and
>  usually it takes till lunch to get him down to where he should be.

Actually, our endo started Katie out with SEVEN basal rates, and with only a
couple of tweeks (a tenth of a unit here and there) and LOTS of BG checks, we
had her basals set in 4 or 5 days.  I was really impressed with how closely
our endo nailed her basal rates right off the bat.  Those basal rates were
good for the rest of the summer, then when school started, we had to dial
back her day time basals (10-3) a bit because of her activity levels at
recesses but increase her morning basals (7-10 am) to deal with a
post-breakfast high that only kicked in when she was no longer sleeping in .
. .

Good luck on your pump start!

Pumpmama to Katie (11, dx @9) happily pumping with her Animas pump "Elvis"
since 6-1-01