Re: [IPp] 504 help

> For those of you having problems with your children testing blood
> sugars at school....are their school nurses at your schools?  There
> is a nurse full time at my sons school, BUT...he also misses so much
> class time with testing, and re-testing from lows or highs. I would
> love to have him test in the classroom, but he is only five and is
> not ready to test himself yet. I doubt our school nurse would leave
> her office to go to his classroom to test him. She says that there
> is a problem with his testing supplies, being that they are needles
> (lancets) and are supposed to be locked up for safety reasons..his
> testing supplies have to stay in the nurses office.

More baloney. The purpose of the 504 is to insure that your child
does NOT miss class time because of his "disablity". He is guaranteed
accomodations in this regard by federal law, even if it means the
school district must higher and aide or another nurse. His supplies
do not have to be locked up anywhere and can and should remain in his
possession. All of this has been argued before and made its way to
the steps of the Supreme Court before it was settled by the school
district that was so pig headed. Insist on a 504 meeting and insist
that your child be allowed to test in the classroom and be provided
with whatever assistance a 5 year-old needs. It is his right under
federal law.

Michael

 Sarah Pump-mommy